Ryan Mountcastle no longer a prospect

wildcard

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

By July the O's will probably 6 outfielders major league ready plus Mountcastle who  can play there in a pinch.  And they need better infielders.   There could be a trade coming depending out how things play out.

By April 23, they need 3 daily outfielders, who can stay healthy and play everyday.

44 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

That's not what I said.  I think he uses the rankings when he talks to the media about how much our system has improved.  He only uses them to point out the advances that we've made.  But, I don't think he personally cares whether they are ranked #3 or #7.  It's just a form of public verification of our general progress.  Any way, I didn't say that he doesn't care, just that I think you overstate the importance that he places on them.

Exactly. It’s a public relations tool. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Didn't really think Mountcastle graduating needed it's own thread.  

But whatever.  By far, he's been the biggest disappointment of the season for me even though we're only 18 games in.

Expect another thread when Dean Kremer  graduates.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

By July the O's will probably have 6 outfielders major league ready plus Mountcastle who  can play there in a pinch.  And they need better infielders.   There could be a trade coming depending out how things play out.

Time to start giving Hays some ground balls and see if he can learn to play 2B. There’s less chance of him crashing into a wall out there. 

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

At -0.8 rWAR he's been one of the worse players in MLB so far. There are slow starts to season then there is totally crapping the bed through the first 18 games.

Obviously this is disappointing to everyone and I'm not going to let an early skid take away from my belief in his bat, but if he doesn't get it going by the start of the AAA season, he may need to be sent down for a bit to figure it out. 

I feel like he's hitting the ball hard, no? I'm giving him another month, but yeah it's been rough. 

1 hour ago, InsideCoroner said:

Time to start giving Hays some ground balls and see if he can learn to play 2B. There’s less chance of him crashing into a wall out there. 

Just want to point out that I’m not aware of any significant injury Hays has sustained playing defense.   Broken thumb sliding into 2B, cracked rib from a HBP, pulled hammy while running the bases.   His other (and most significant) injury had to do with a cyst growing near his ankle, and wasn’t really related to anything that happened on the field,

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Elias cares about the rankings.  He wants to maintain a top 5 farm system into the future.

Elias is smarter than that. He wants to build a pipeline and maximize development of each player. He is not going to "teach to the test" just so some publication gives us a higher ranking. Are you suggesting he keep Mountcastle down to keep him a "prospect"?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Elias is smarter than that. He wants to build a pipeline and maximize development of each player. He is not going to "teach to the test" just so some publication gives us a higher ranking. Are you suggesting he keep Mountcastle down to keep him a "prospect"?

Nope.