Adley Rutschman 2021

glenn__davis

20 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

On the latest Inside the Yard they interviewed Matt Blood.  He said (paraphrasing obviously) that they expect Rutschman to have some troubles hitting at the AA level and that that will be good for him to learn and progress.  So take that for what it's worth, but it certainly doesn't sound like he is an MLB-ready bat right now who is just putting in time in the minors for service time issues.

Hey @Can_of_corn

20 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I know they only gave rave reviews about him at the Alternate Site last year, but I wonder if it was because:

A: He faced the same pitchers over and over and over and over again (and they were Orioles guys, after all)

B: You don’t knock your #1 pick.

Yes.  This is why I didn't buy the hype train last summer from the alternate site.  Faced the same guys over and over.  And you're right, you don't knock the #1 pick.  It's going to be all praise, all the time.  

5 hours ago, cnmilton said:

Getting the feeling that Ruschmans bat was greatly exaggerated coming out of college.

Getting that feeling, too.  But I've still got some hope.

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hey @Can_of_corn

Yes.  This is why I didn't buy the hype train last summer from the alternate site.  Faced the same guys over and over.  And you're right, you don't knock the #1 pick.  It's going to be all praise, all the time.  

Getting that feeling, too.  But I've still got some hope.

Hey what?

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm falling into the he doesn't need a significant swing change and isn't resistant to coaching camp until we see further evidence.  I can't wrap my head around the idea that this wouldn't have come out before the draft or during the instructs last year.  

Didn't he rebuild his swing after his freshman year?

A lot of players are going with this uppercut swing and are striking out a ton.

Is that what Adley is doing?  

It’s so early, so it’s probably wrong to be concerned but what we do have is mounting evidence that his offense is overhyped.  Doesn’t mean that’s how it ends up but talking about where things stand right now.

Also, please spare us the stuff about how Tork or Witt or anyone else is struggling.  Adley is supposed to be right there with Franco..Franco is off to a blistering start.  So are a lot of other prospects.  

It’s a SSS right now..but his entire pro career has been extremely subpar thus far.  It would just be nice to see him start to look like one of the best prospects in the sport and one of the best at his position in decades.  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s so early, so it’s probably wrong to be concerned but what we do have is mounting evidence that his offense is overhyped.  Doesn’t mean that’s how it ends up but talking about where things stand right now.

Also, please spare us the stuff about how Tork or Witt or anyone else is struggling.  Adley is supposed to be right there with Franco..Franco is off to a blistering start.  So are a lot of other prospects.  

It’s a SSS right now..but his entire pro career has been extremely subpar thus far.  It would just be nice to see him start to look like one of the best prospects in the sport and one of the best at his position in decades.  

Ha ha, wrong.   His entire pro career is 151 at bats.   77 of those were at Aberdeen where he hit for a 984 OPS.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Ha ha, wrong.   His entire pro career is 151 at bats.   77 of those were at Aberdeen where he hit for a 984 OPS.

Ehh. Fair enough.  I don’t really care about how he did against younger competition in a league he never should have been in to begin with.

But you are right.

I guess I should say his pro career has been subpar when facing competition he should actually be playing against.

48 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

He's clearly trying to become a power hitter. He should focus on making solid contact and forget trying to hit HR's. I dont think thats his strength at all.

I don’t think this is true.  He has been rated as being one of the best pure power bats in the minors.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

"Please spare us the natural counter to the exact point I've been harping on this whole time"

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think this is true.  He has been rated as being one of the best pure power bats in the minors.

Clearly he's trying to sell out contact for more power. 

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Franco I've seen rated as having an 80 hit tool, from what we've seen from AR's swing that isnt the case with him, so its more fair to compare him to others who drafted high like AR was anyway. Franco's clearly a class above AR at the moment. Doesn't mean AR cant readjust his swing and improve. 

Saturday's game:

1PA batting LH:
Swung through fastball (92-94) low away (0-1). (hittable)
Swung through high fastball (94) for 0-2. (hittable)
Fouled away down left field line, fastball low middle of plate (late) (Hittable)
Foul popped up fastball in middle of plate towards 1B dugout (Very hittable)
Grounded out to second base on middle high fastball. (0-for-1) (very hittable)

2PA batting LH:
Took inside fastball for strike (0-1) (Good pitch)
Lined 0-1 low changeup to right field  for out. (hit pretty well) (0-for-2) (Decent pitch but too much in middle of plate)

3PA batting RH:
Took low slider by his back foot for 1-0 (bad pitch)
Took outside fastball off plate by 12 inches 2-0 (bad pitch)
Fouls back middle-middle meat fastball 2-1 (Very hittable)
Take up and in fastball for ball 3-1 (not far off plate, competitive)
Hits a middle up fastball and pops it up into shallow left field. (0-for-3)(Very hittable)

4PA batting LH
Took first plate curveball for strike 0-1  (decent pitch) 
Took curveball just off plate away 1-1 (decent take)
Took another curveball further off plate 2-1 (bad pitch)
Took another curveball outside (3-1) (bad pitch)
Walks on high and away fastball (0-for-3, BB) (non competitive pitch) 

5PA batting LH:
fouls away to left side 1st pitch low fastball e 0-1 (hittable)
Take low fastball 1-1 (bad pitch)
Swung at high fastball and fouled back. 1-2 (hittable)
Swung and miss at slider under the hands (0-for-4, BB, K) (nice pitch) 

Swung 11 times:

3 swings and miss
5 fouls
1 Ground out
1 line out
1 pop out

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1