Adley Rutschman 2021

glenn__davis

34 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

https://www.milb.com/video/rutschman-belts-20th-homer?t=playerid-668939

The RH swing isn’t bad either. 1.200+ OPS vs LHP. .790 vs RHP. He looks about as ready as ready as one can be. 

That’s a pretty big separation. Maybe he’s a candidate to drop switch hitting too. Or you give him his days off against tough LHP. 

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

That’s a pretty big separation. Maybe he’s a candidate to drop switch hitting too. Or you give him his days off against tough LHP. 

1.   I wouldn’t make too much of one year’s worth of R/L spilts.  Many players fluctuate from year to year on this.   

2.  .790 isn’t exactly bad.   

I wouldn’t dream of telling Rutschman to drop switch hitting at this point.  As to giving him his days off against LHP, that can be decided in the future.   

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

1.   I wouldn’t make too much of one year’s worth of R/L spilts.  Many players fluctuate from year to year on this.   

2.  .790 isn’t exactly bad.   

I wouldn’t dream of telling Rutschman to drop switch hitting at this point.  As to giving him his days off against LHP, that can be decided in the future.   

I wouldn’t have dreamed of telling Mullins that either. Just something to keep in mind as his career develops. 

15 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I wouldn’t have dreamed of telling Mullins that either. Just something to keep in mind as his career develops. 

There’s a pretty big difference.  Mullins had a .439 OPS as a RHB in the majors, and his MiL numbers also were bad as RHB.   Rutschman’s numbers from the RH side are above average, just not as stellar as his LH numbers so far.   

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There’s a pretty big difference.  Mullins had a .439 OPS as a RHB in the majors, and his MiL numbers also were bad as RHB.   Rutschman’s numbers from the RH side are above average, just not as stellar as his LH numbers so far.   

Rutschman kicks left footed and writes right handed, so I would be inclined to think that he is more ambidextrous than the average switch hitter.  FWIW

8 hours ago, waroriole said:

Why would you give Rutschman days off against LHP if he’s hitting better from the right side? Wouldn’t it be the other way around? 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got curious how Rutschman’s move from Bowie to Norfolk impacted the fate of those two teams.

Bowie: 49-33 (.598) with Rutschman; 24-14 (.632) without him.   

Norfolk: 32-50 (.390) without Rutschman; 20-28 (.416) with him.   

Obviously there were many other players moving around other than just Rutschman.   But I guess I’d say neither team was really heavily impacted by the move.    Bowie not only survived, it thrived.    Norfolk got a minor bump but nothing earth shattering.   

All this is to say that I’m not expecting Rutschman’s arrival in Baltimore to have a huge and immediate impact on the W-L record.   I still look forward to watching him play, though.   

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Got curious how Rutschman’s move from Bowie to Norfolk impacted the fate of those two teams.

Bowie: 49-33 (.598) with Rutschman; 24-14 (.632) without him.   

Norfolk: 32-50 (.390) without Rutschman; 20-28 (.416) with him.   

Obviously there were many other players moving around other than just Rutschman.   But I guess I’d say neither team was really heavily impacted by the move.    Bowie not only survived, it thrived.    Norfolk got a minor bump but nothing earth shattering.   

All this is to say that I’m not expecting Rutschman’s arrival in Baltimore to have a huge and immediate impact on the W-L record.   I still look forward to watching him play, though.   

HIs impact will depend on who else the O's bring in.   If they decide to not waste the Adley and Grayson years.

• Upvote 1

On 9/28/2021 at 8:24 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

https://www.milb.com/video/rutschman-belts-20th-homer?t=playerid-668939

The RH swing isn’t bad either. 1.200+ OPS vs LHP. .790 vs RHP. He looks about as ready as ready as one can be. 

I think this is only the Boiwie at bats and does not include what he did at Norfolk.  Correct me if I am wrong.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think this is only the Boiwie at bats and does not include what he did at Norfolk.  Correct me if I am wrong.

Overall he was 1.060 vs. LHP, .825 vs. RHP.   At Norfolk, .870 vs. LHP, .915 vs. RHP.   He’s going to hit fine from both sides of the plate.