Adley Rutschman 2021

glenn__davis

He did not look good at the plate at all. Was pretty much dominated by mid-90s heat and curveballs. He did look very good behind the plate receiving DL Hall though. Stuck some tough pitches and showed a lot of energy back there even late in the game after his awful day at the plate. 

I know technically yesterday was not Rutschman’s MiL debut, but it kind of felt like it.  And I was thinking about Wieters’ debut game in Frederick, which as I recall, featured a homer from each side of the plate in his first two at bats.   Rutschman, not so much.   

I really hope that I am wrong, but I share the concerns re his hitting.  Lots of swing and miss.  It’s disturbing to me also that he hasn’t hit many homers while swinging out of his shoes.  He seems to have a big upper cut to his swing, so maybe there is a plane issue.  Whatever it is, I hope it gets fixed.  Looked nice behind the plate though. 

4 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

When he was drafted I looked at all the videos of him posted and I saw a long loopy swing that did not impress. But hey I'm not a scout.

CJ Abrams AA debut, 2/5, 2 doubles 1 Run, 1 RBI, flawless on 5 chances at SS

By the way Abrams is 3 years younger than Rutschman

He was called the best prospect since Bryce Harper, not to mention is a top 5 prospect on every site. I think its probably just a timing issue. On the gamecast, AR was missing fastballs in the middle of the plate, that shouldnt happen too often. So im not too worried yet.

27 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

By the way Abrams is 3 years younger than Rutschman

I liked Abrams too. SS is just a much flashier position than Catcher when you're picking #1 overall. 

1 hour ago, DocJJ said:

This was from two months ago and was discussed ad nauseam during spring training. He had a few nice days at the plate after the comments were made (which doesn’t negate the point by Mcgregor). 

53 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

He was called the best prospect since Bryce Harper, not to mention is a top 5 prospect on every site. I think its probably just a timing issue. On the gamecast, AR was missing fastballs in the middle of the plate, that shouldnt happen too often. So im not too worried yet.

I liked Abrams too. SS is just a much flashier position than Catcher when you're picking #1 overall. 

Saw that in spring training as well.

I have to say that I'm not a fan of his significant upper cut swing. Looks like a lot of holes in that swing so far that pro pitching has found. Hopefully he'll make the adjustments. 

7 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

When he was drafted I looked at all the videos of him posted and I saw a long loopy swing that did not impress. But hey I'm not a scout.

CJ Abrams AA debut, 2/5, 2 doubles 1 Run, 1 RBI, flawless on 5 chances at SS

Where can we find those posts?  I don't remember seeing anyone question his swing leading up to the draft.