Adley Rutschman 2021

glenn__davis

On the latest Inside the Yard they interviewed Matt Blood.  He said (paraphrasing obviously) that they expect Rutschman to have some troubles hitting at the AA level and that that will be good for him to learn and progress.  So take that for what it's worth, but it certainly doesn't sound like he is an MLB-ready bat right now who is just putting in time in the minors for service time issues.

This thread has a lot of discussion about Rutschman’s swing; however, none of the discussion distinguishes between his left handed and right handed swings.  Does he have the exact same issues from both sides of the plate?  In my experience, switch hitters have different strengths and weaknesses from each side.  It would be helpful if the posters indicated whether their swing critiques were regarding his left side, right side, or both. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jdwilde1 said:

This thread has a lot of discussion about Rutschman’s swing; however, none of the discussion distinguishes between his left handed and right handed swings.  Does he have the exact same issues from both sides of the plate?  In my experience, switch hitters have different strengths and weaknesses from each side.  It would be helpful if the posters indicated whether their swing critiques were regarding his left side, right side, or both. Thanks.

Or maybe he could take a page out of Mullins book and ditch the switch. 

4 hours ago, jdwilde1 said:

He's only had three PAs as a right-handed hitter this year so far. 

7 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

On the latest Inside the Yard they interviewed Matt Blood.  He said (paraphrasing obviously) that they expect Rutschman to have some troubles hitting at the AA level and that that will be good for him to learn and progress.  So take that for what it's worth, but it certainly doesn't sound like he is an MLB-ready bat right now who is just putting in time in the minors for service time issues.

This tells me that they know his swing needs adjustments and that only failure will get him to change. I've heard from an old scout who has watched him and his first comments about him, "Big upper cut swing." 

• Like 1

Just now, orioles22 said:

I like them.

Gives me something to follow when the Orioles are struggling, and I can usually find some prospects to boost my spirits.

I'm absolutely fine with them existing as an institution.  I've enjoyed my trips to watch minor league baseball.

• Upvote 1

I know people talk how he has to change the uppercut swing he has but atvh8ng the Braves game his swing is nit much different then Freddie Freeman who has a big uppercut swing as well and he has done pretty well with it.  Freeman has different follow through with keeping his hand on the bat but the load and preparation to the swing contact point are very similar.

On 5/6/2021 at 11:03 PM, jabba72 said:

It was another down the middle pitch he swung through as well. He does appear to have a great eye for the strike zone, he just is missing some hittable pitches. 

I'll be pretty irritated if it comes out that they had the 2020 extended instructional period and didn't Institute a swing change in a top prospect that they thought needed one.

I'm falling into the he doesn't need a significant swing change and isn't resistant to coaching camp until we see further evidence.  I can't wrap my head around the idea that this wouldn't have come out before the draft or during the instructs last year.  

Didn't he rebuild his swing after his freshman year?