Adley Rutschman 2021

glenn__davis

31 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not expecting anything.

That's not to say that I'm not expecting ANYTHING.  I'm just tired of making pronouncements about what he will or won't be.  Or who's career he'll have.  Buster Posey's?  Yadier Molina's?  Carlton Fisk's?  Ivan Rodriguez's?  Matt Wieters'?  Joe Mauer's?

Second, the constant speculation of when or when he won't be called up and the surrounding scenarios and situations around it, service clock time, etc...

It just goes on and on and on and on and on and on...

It's tiresome.  I'm just over it.  I'm enjoying seeing how he's handling AA pitching and hoping that he'll have a seamless transition to the majors at some point.  Constant speculation about when he'll be up and how he'll turn out to be...well, let's just say your maw-maw would tell you that you'll turn blind.   

Well surely you’re expecting at least somethint. But yes, it’s become an obsession and my vision is deteriorating. Maw-maw was right. 

23 hours ago, joelala said:

Honest question: what would be a Rutschman outcome you’re happy with? I’ll go out on a relatively sturdy limb and say he won’t reach the offensive heights of Posey nor the overall, complete and utter greatness of Molina. Basically, what exactly are we expecting from him at this point?

Did somebody say "expect"?  

Prior to Adley, MLB.com has had 16 players rated as the top prospect in baseball since 2004.  (I would use Baseball America's ratings if not for their paywall).  Ignoring Wander Franco, here is the BB-Ref WAR per 162 games for the others' MLB careers so far (ignoring age adjustments):

Andrew Benintendi:  3.3;   Alex Bregman:  6.7;   Jay Bruce:  2.0;   Byron Buxton:  5.2;    Vlad Jr:  4.3; Jason Heyward:  4.3;   Joe Mauer:  4.8;  Yoan Moncada:  3.7;   Matt Moore:  1.0;   Shohei Ohtani:  9.0;    David Price:  4.2;   Jurickson Profar:  0.8;   Corey Seager:  5.2;   Mike Trout:  9.6;   Delmon Young:  0.5 

Obviously, there's a wide range of outcomes, but if we just focus on the mean (expected value), we get 4.0 WAR per 162 games, somewhere between Yoan Moncada and David Price's careers so far.  An above average player, though not a superstar or Hall of Famer.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Three Run Homer said:

Did somebody say "expect"?  

Prior to Adley, MLB.com has had 16 players rated as the top prospect in baseball since 2004.  (I would use Baseball America's ratings if not for their paywall).  Ignoring Wander Franco, here is the BB-Ref WAR per 162 games for the others' MLB careers so far (ignoring age adjustments):

Andrew Benintendi:  3.3;   Alex Bregman:  6.7;   Jay Bruce:  2.0;   Byron Buxton:  5.2;    Vlad Jr:  4.3; Jason Heyward:  4.3;   Joe Mauer:  4.8;  Yoan Moncada:  3.7;   Matt Moore:  1.0;   Shohei Ohtani:  9.0;    David Price:  4.2;   Jurickson Profar:  0.8;   Corey Seager:  5.2;   Mike Trout:  9.6;   Delmon Young:  0.5 

Obviously, there's a wide range of outcomes, but if we just focus on the mean (expected value), we get 4.0 WAR per 162 games, somewhere between Yoan Moncada and David Price's careers so far.  An above average player, though not a superstar or Hall of Famer.  

Good post. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He’s played all 5 games against the Rome Braves since being in Aberdeen. Yes, he’s 0-15, but it’s pretty clear that the Rome Braves are staying away from as they have walked him 10 times in 5 games. 

On 6/27/2021 at 7:55 PM, joelala said:

Honest question: what would be a Rutschman outcome you’re happy with? I’ll go out on a relatively sturdy limb and say he won’t reach the offensive heights of Posey nor the overall, complete and utter greatness of Molina. Basically, what exactly are we expecting from him at this point?

You’re taking Molina over Posey? theoretically...

9 hours ago, PeteCanes said:

You’re taking Molina over Posey? theoretically...

Yes. Longevity and better defense at an extremely important position. It’s certainly a very interesting debate, but for my money Yadier Molina is the best catcher of this generation. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

You wonder if Adley is just kind of going through the motions at this point.  Hasn’t really been hot in a while but not really cool either.  

I think they need to move him Up and give him a new challenge.

He's a competitor. He's not going thru the motions.

38 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You wonder if Adley is just kind of going through the motions at this point.  Hasn’t really been hot in a while but not really cool either.  

I think they need to move him Up and give him a new challenge.

It would be pretty disappointing if there were to be the case.

If there is one thing the O's can't afford it's a star player that goes through the motions when they think the games don't count.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It would be pretty disappointing if there were to be the case.

If there is one thing the O's can't afford it's a star player that goes through the motions when they think the games don't count.

It’s not uncommon for guys in the minors to start to “get bored” at the level they are at.  

I just think it’s time for him to get challenged more.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

It’s not uncommon for guys in the minors to start to get bored at the level they are at.  

Sure.

But I would hope it would be uncommon for a guy that went 1-1 to be bored in late June in his first real season of pro ball.

To me a guy that is bored now will probably be mailing it in in the majors if his team is 23.5 games back on July 1st.

• Upvote 2