Robert Neustrom 2021

Hazmat

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

.748 OPS in 257 PA's in Norfolk as a 24 year old. Im not really sure those are prospect worthy numbers. Neustrom's not any threat to Santander or Hays at the moment IMO. 

Hays put up a .758 OPS at Norfolk as a 23 year old.   Just saying.    I don't think he's any threat to them at the moment either but he might be a threat to either one of them by next May.   Might.

50 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Hays put up a .758 OPS at Norfolk as a 23 year old.   Just saying.    I don't think he's any threat to them at the moment either but he might be a threat to either one of them by next May.   Might.

Hays glove helps his cause alot, but agree that was not exactly a great season for him.  Still, Neustrom is a year older. You expect more from a corner OF bat in a prospect.

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I always felt Hays had more in him if he could get healthy.  He was so spectacular in 2017, I’ve just always believed in him.    I don’t feel that way about Neustrom, but he might be a mild upgrade over Stewart if we’re lucky.

18 hours ago, jabba72 said:

.748 OPS in 257 PA's in Norfolk as a 24 year old. Im not really sure those are prospect worthy numbers. Neustrom's not any threat to Santander or Hays at the moment IMO. 

24 with the Covid age/level asterisk.

he seems to have some potential as a power hitting platoon guy with some everyday upside. If deployed well, he could be a valuable piece on our team. He may fit better in the NL though given their wider use of pinch hitters.

16 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I have no idea why they would protect Stewart at this point.

As of how things stand right now, there is no good reason not to protect him.

As additions occur and moves are made this offseason, that could change but there are plenty of guys you cut before him.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I have no idea why they would protect Stewart at this point.

Mullins is the only O's outfielder that reasonably can be projected to be both productive and healthy.  Santander and Hays project to miss time on the IL.  And there is no telling how early in the season that could happen.   McKenna does not project to hit in the majors.  Might happen but hard to project.   Stowers and Neustrom should probably be planned to begin the year at AAA.   

Stewart or his replacement is needed early in the season until Stower or Neustrom are deemed ready for promotion by O's management.   Now if Elias can find a cheap, optionable outfielder that is better than Stewart that would be the time to let Stewart go IMO.

50 minutes ago, wildcard said:

McKenna does not project to hit in the majors.  Might happen but hard to project.   Stowers and Neustrom should probably be planned to begin the year at AAA.   

Stewart is a bad fielder and his walk rate is his only redeemable quality. McKenna is their best option in the OF after the starters. 

There are other players who should be cut before Stewart, but I’m not going out of my way to keep him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Stewart is a bad fielder and his walk rate is his only redeemable quality. McKenna is their best option in the OF after the starters. 

There are other players who should be cut before Stewart, but I’m not going out of my way to keep him.

I think it’s possible Stewart’s hitting could improve some.    Certainly not certain that it will.   But a line like .235/.340/.420 is not out of the question, and that would be somewhat useful even with his defense.   619 PA in the majors is not enough for me to be sure he can’t improve.   

36 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I have this fear that Stewart becomes Swisher when he leaves Baltimore. You see the mini stretches of his potential, he just needs to make them last longer. McKenna can’t hit ML pitching. He just doesn’t have the bat speed to catch up to mid 90s FB  

36 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I have this fear that Stewart becomes Swisher when he leaves Baltimore. You see the mini stretches of his potential, he just needs to make them last longer. McKenna can’t hit ML pitching. He just doesn’t have the bat speed to catch up to mid 90s FB  

I’m not giving up on him, either.  Hopefully he can spend the winter hitting 97 mph fastballs off the machine and come back better next year.