Bring up Ryan Ripken!

NelsonCruuuuuz

1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

He's in AAA so they are probably aware of him and have plans to call him up at some point. Its probably not a big deal In September. 

Assuming it won't be Davis why should the O's drop someone from their 40 man roster to do this?

He's got a 615 career OPS as a first baseman.

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

No.  The Orioles don't need their own Marc Sullivan.

Nice use case of severe nepotism. I've seen the Orioles do it with late draft picks, but using a 2nd round pick on a guy that could not hit, then bringing him up to the major when he never had sustained success hitting in the minors was  pretty much the definition of Nepotism.

As for Ripken, he's hit the ball well this spring and now through the beginning part of the season. He's never been a prospect, doesn't have power, and is not a great defender at 1B. Saying that, from what I've heard he's a hard worker and a good guy so nice to see him have a little success i through 15 PAs.

He's not an answer to any Orioles problem or question unless that question is, "Who is the son of Orioles legend Cal Ripken Jr.?"

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Assuming it won't be Davis why should the O's drop someone from their 40 man roster to do this?

He's got a 615 career OPS as a first baseman.

I know but the guy is in AAA with that OPS, so they are promoting him for a reason. Im just guessing why.

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Nice use case of severe nepotism. I've seen the Orioles do it with late draft picks, but using a 2nd round pick on a guy that could not hit, then bringing him up to the major when he never had sustained success hitting in the minors was  pretty much the definition of Nepotism.

As for Ripken, he's hit the ball well this spring and now through the beginning part of the season. He's never been a prospect, doesn't have power, and is not a great defender at 1B. Saying that, from what I've heard he's a hard worker and a good guy so nice to see him have a little success i through 15 PAs.

He's not an answer to any Orioles problem or question unless that question is, "Who is the son of Orioles legend Cal Ripken Jr.?"

I think people think the same magic portion that little Yaz did, will work with little Rip.

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Well we know Elias isn't promoting anyone that hasn't earned their promotion.

And now he's tearing up AAA. The question becomes...what do you do with this prospect?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jabba72 said:

He's in AAA so they are probably aware of him and have plans to call him up at some point. Its probably not a big deal In September. 

Rosters only expand by 2 in September these days.   A lot of people are still in the old mindset that you bring a bunch of people up.

Most teams will probably bring up a C and a P.   Obviously you can still cycle people up and down to use more than 28 guys in September, but it isn't like the old days where most teams brought up 8 or more guys right after Labor Day.