Michael Baumann 2021

Just Regular

11 hours ago, waroriole said:

He’s 25, what’s to waste?

I'm indifferent, but think a little bit of extra rest might be better for Baumann than adding stress of big league pitching.

After the Covid year of lower work load and plus the injury, I just feel like I want this season to end for Baumann and honestly a few others like Rodriguez, Rom, and more.

4 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I'm indifferent, but think a little bit of extra rest might be better for Baumann than adding stress of big league pitching.

After the Covid year of lower work load and plus the injury, I just feel like I want this season to end for Baumann and honestly a few others like Rodriguez, Rom, and more.

I’m fine with that argument. But service time issues shouldn’t be a concern at all. 

• Upvote 2

I've watched Baumann's last start and his over numbers look better than he pitched.

Baumann is still struggling to find his command especially of his off-speed pitches. His slider has real good movement but he's struggling to find the strike zone with the pitch so he doesn't get the swing and miss that he should on the pitch. 

He pitches almost exclusively off the fastball, rarely pitching backwards, most likely due to being unable to land them for strikes very often. the good news is the fastball is lively enough that he doesn't get a lot of hard contact the pitch.

He was not commanding his changeup up very good and did not throw many. The curveball has improved as well and it seems like he's added in a cutter occasionally.

He's only getting a 10% swinging strike rate which is not very good and I didn't see a go to swing and miss pitch even though he did K 5 in 5 innings. 

I wish he had better feel for the changeup.

Right now, I think he would struggle at the major league level due to his lack of command. I'd also like to see him start landing his offspeed pitches for more strikes, especially the slider. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I've watched Baumann's last start and his over numbers look better than he pitched.

Baumann is still struggling to find his command especially of his off-speed pitches. His slider has real good movement but he's struggling to find the strike zone with the pitch so he doesn't get the swing and miss that he should on the pitch. 

He pitches almost exclusively off the fastball, rarely pitching backwards, most likely due to being unable to land them for strikes very often. the good news is the fastball is lively enough that he doesn't get a lot of hard contact the pitch.

He was not commanding his changeup up very good and did not throw many. The curveball has improved as well and it seems like he's added in a cutter occasionally.

He's only getting a 10% swinging strike rate which is not very good and I didn't see a go to swing and miss pitch even though he did K 5 in 5 innings. 

Right now, I think he would struggle at the major league level due to his lack of command. I'd also like to see him start landing his offspeed pitches for more strikes, especially the slider. 

Did he have this issue in Bowie as well two years ago when he dominated there? Overall this year it’s been jaw dropping to see some of the numbers from guys who were great in 2019. Lowther and a couple other guys are in that category too 

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Tony, was last night your first look at Baumann since his promotion to AAA?  I see he’s thrown a higher percentage of strikes in 3 of his other 4 AAA outings, so I’m wondering if you caught him on a bit of an off night.   That said, his other “off” outing was really off (51% strikes, 6 walks), so at a minimum I think we can say he doesn’t have consistent command.   

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Tony, was last night your first look at Baumann since his promotion to AAA?  I see he’s thrown a higher percentage of strikes in 3 of his other 4 AAA outings, so I’m wondering if you caught him on a bit of an off night.   That said, his other “off” outing was really off (51% strikes, 6 walks), so at a minimum I think we can say he doesn’t have consistent command.   

He's had 11 walks in his last 10 innings over his last three starts so no, it's not just an off night. I've watched several of his starts this year at AAA including his dominant one against this same Jacksonville team. 

He works his fastball low in the zone well but when he's having more success he's able to get his slider and change over for strikes. The curveball is a nice pitch movement wise but he usually buries it below the zone. 

He was able to throw the change better in his good appearance but it doesn't have a ton of movement.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Nice outing for Baumann tonight, 6 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 7 K’s.  85 pitches, 56 for strikes.   

I was there tonight.  Solid start, but he gave up a number of loud outs.  FB sat mostly 91-93.  Slider had good bite.  It was the first time I've seen Baumann pitch.  I was expecting a bigger fastball based on the hype. He definitely looks like a piece for the future, but not sure if that'll be in the rotation or the pen.

• Upvote 2

Okay, I think Baumann should get one more start in Norfolk, and then promote him to the O's if he does well. He looked great in his two starts at Delmarva, but not so great in 10 starts at Bowie. In six starts at Norfolk, though, he's looked pretty good (2.00 ERA). He's 25 years old, and turns 26 on September 10th, so it would be fitting if he made his Major League debut at the age of 25. I was at the game he tossed a no-hitter, and I've always been rooting for him, so now that it's September, I'd really like to see him get a chance before he turns 26. I don't know if he'll succeed at the Major League level, but I think it's time he was given a chance, and open the door for him to compete in Spring Training next year for a spot in the rotation.

11 hours ago, rbandy95 said:

FB sat mostly 91-93.  

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

His next start should be in Baltimore.

I honestly don't think he's right yet. I know he's getting older, I'd rather we focus on getting him healthy and hopefully pitching to his potential. I don't feel like going to the majors this year accomplishes anything but more stress on his arm.

Maybe if he goes to the bullpen for an inning or two, but I don't want him starting in the majors, tbh.