Michael Baumann 2021

Just Regular

Baumann looked very good yesterday, commanding all four pitches for te most part. Only got one velocity reading from the announcers at 94, but he got a fair amount of swing and miss and limited hard contact which was mostly oppo related.

Another rough start 2.1 ip 3 hits 7 Runs 6 ER 3 Bb 3 strikeouts. 

The young guys we were looking to see how they would do this season couldn’t have done much worse so far.  Akin, Lowther, Kramer, Zimmerman, Wells and Baumann have been brutal so far,

This off season I was surprised that Elias added so much pitching in the deals he made with a slew of guys we thought were about ready.  I am starting to think he knew what we are all seeing in advance.  Remember these are nit his guys and from I have watched a few of these guys don’t have good enough stuff to be successful in the A.L. East and the others don’t have good enough command.  On a positive note Bradish was good again at Norfolk.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If he already wasn’t ahead of Baumann, Bradish should move ahead after tonight.

Baumann stuff has been nowhere close to what it has been in last two years.  Don’t know if he still injured or what but he needs to get back to that.

7 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Baumann stuff has been nowhere close to what it has been in last two years.  Don’t know if he still injured or what but he needs to get back to that.

I wrote the Baumann's dominating Bowie like healthy Bedard way back when, but seeing these results its hard not to go to the mechanism is broken, as perhaps it has been since the alternate site shutdown after the reportedly dominant run there.

I appreciate an athlete will always hope to avoid surgeries, but pitcher talent wise I'll have to work not to ruminate on the lost time.  If it is ultimately TJ and it had happened last Labor Day, the 2022 Orioles might have enjoyed him >18 months post procedure on Opening Day.

At least the current regime's hand picked Bradish is perhaps approximating some of what I'd hoped Baumann might be, in the tier of "not as good as Rodriguez/Hall, but better than the basket of SP5/SP6 types".

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

Yes, I’m wondering if he’s really healthy.  

13 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

If he already wasn’t ahead of Baumann, Bradish should move ahead after tonight.

Baumann looks nowhere near MLB ready while Bradish is knocking on the door in Norfolk. Its possible he could even be promoted this year. The question now is Kevin Smith and Brnovich also ahead of Baumann on the depth chart. I would say yes. 

14 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Another rough start 2.1 ip 3 hits 7 Runs 6 ER 3 Bb 3 strikeouts. 

The young guys we were looking to see how they would do this season couldn’t have done much worse so far.  Akin, Lowther, Kramer, Zimmerman, Wells and Baumann have been brutal so far,

This off season I was surprised that Elias added so much pitching in the deals he made with a slew of guys we thought were about ready.  I am starting to think he knew what we are all seeing in advance.  Remember these are nit his guys and from I have watched a few of these guys don’t have good enough stuff to be successful in the A.L. East and the others don’t have good enough command.  On a positive note Bradish was good again at Norfolk.

I wouldn't really characterize what Lowther, Zimmermann and Wells have done this season as "brutal".  Really not Akin either.  He had a rough time his last outing but still has a 4.43 FIP so far this season (and 3.93 career FIP). 

2 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Baumann looks nowhere near MLB ready while Bradish is knocking on the door in Norfolk. Its possible he could even be promoted this year. The question now is Kevin Smith and Brnovich also ahead of Baumann on the depth chart. I would say yes. 

Baumann isn’t ready. You are correct. 

Edited by 27outs
Mistaken quote