Plutko

NelsonCruuuuuz

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It does mean that you can handle the innings and he has gone back and forth between starter and reliever in his big league career, so it’s not like this is a new experience for him.

He is just a mediocre pitcher.  No reason to invent other issues for him.  It’s just the reality of who he is.

He doesn’t even have a enough innings as a reliever to determine that yet. As a starter he was bad... but as a reliever? Still up in the air. 

3 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

He doesn’t even have a enough innings as a reliever to determine that yet. As a starter he was bad... but as a reliever? Still up in the air. 

We know enough that while he can be an effective reliever, it’s not likely he is some elite guy.  He is a TJ Mac type guy.

That’s fine..you need guys like that but let’s not act like just because he has a few bad outings that it’s some reflection on something other than his talent.

If he had an injury, that’s one thing but otherwise, he is just a very average-ish guy that isn’t going to wow you.

1 hour ago, LocoChris said:

The issue is overwork

In 19 days in May he's thrown 141 pitches over seven games, never more than 30 pitches in an outing.  Even in today's context if that's overwork we have a problem.  John Means threw 113 pitches in his no hitter, and Plutko can't throw 141 spread pretty evenly over 19 days? 

Not overwork.

• Upvote 2

I bet if you graphed out pitcher use patterns over history and projected into the future you'd come to a point somewhere around the year 2500 where each pitcher's career is just a single, magnificent, 136mph pitch that tears every ligament in their arm and cripples them for life.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I bet if you graphed out pitcher use patterns over history and projected into the future you'd come to a point somewhere around the year 2500 where each pitcher's career is just a single, magnificent, 136mph pitch that tears every ligament in their arm and cripples them for life.

The good news is none of us will be here if that happens. And by the way, this wins "most out there" comment of the day so far. Congrats.. :D

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

C'mon, Frobby, get with the narrative.  All things have direct and obvious causes, almost always related to the Orioles making stupid mistakes.  A random pitcher pitches poorly, it's because the team had the gall to not keep him on an extremely tight routine and schedule.  The trouble in Palestine, directly related to poor decisions Duquette made in 2013.

This situation is clearly not because he's Adam Plutko and this was the 25th time in 67 MLB appearances he's allowed three or more runs. Anybody can see that last year he got shelled in a start on August 21st, then relieved and pitched four scoreless innings in his next appearance and I don't know why I'm still typing...

Silly me posting my OPINION on an internet message board. Have you played professional baseball in the past? Could it be POSSIBLE that a change in roles (after exceling at one role in a capacity well above past performance) could impact a player's approach, mentality and ultimately performance? Crazy idea I know....

I think this is unprofessional as a "Hangout Contributor". I will let your little clubhouse continue without different opinions. Enjoy!

11 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Silly me posting my OPINION on an internet message board. Have you played professional baseball in the past? Could it be POSSIBLE that a change in roles (after exceling at one role in a capacity well above past performance) could impact a player's approach, mentality and ultimately performance? Crazy idea I know....

I think this is unprofessional as a "Hangout Contributor". I will let your little clubhouse continue without different opinions. Enjoy!

What would you expect the Orioles to do?  They needed a starter.  They have a guy on the staff who was rested and has started 36 prior games in the majors, and another 123 in the minors.  Seems like a very obvious choice, and one that I wouldn't even think twice about making.

He pitched poorly last night because he's a average-ish MLB pitcher and sometimes they give up runs.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

What would you expect the Orioles to do?  They needed a starter.  They have a guy on the staff who was rested and has started 36 prior games in the majors, and another 123 in the minors.  Seems like a very obvious choice, and one that I wouldn't even think twice about making.

He pitched poorly last night because he's a average-ish MLB pitcher and sometimes they give up runs.

I would be more than happy to answer that if you responded in a civilized fashion. People disagree, it is a message board, I offered my "rant".

But I have no interest in being bullied. That is unprofessional and uncalled for. This is a great forum, but a lot of people on here just seem to want conflict and pick fights. I don't get it. If you disagree, just say that. No biggie.

1 hour ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Oh brother...

1 hour ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I would be more than happy to answer that if you responded in a civilized fashion. People disagree, it is a message board, I offered my "rant".

But I have no interest in being bullied. That is unprofessional and uncalled for. This is a great forum, but a lot of people on here just seem to want conflict and pick fights. I don't get it. If you disagree, just say that. No biggie.

I have no issue with your opinion. My own feeling is that he should have started a clean inning, but he would probably have been just as bad,  but only give up two runs.

But no one is bullying you and I think you’re being a bit defensive. We’re all on the same side.

relax.

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Actually I think the Orioles felt they could use Plutko to go one inning as an opener and then give it over to Zimmermann when he could face the back end of the middle of the order or lower. It just failed miserably because Plutko was awful.

Personally, I hate the openers and think Zimmermann should have started, but understand what they were trying to do. 

I wasn't a fan of letting Plutko start as the routine can be quite different from relief, but I don't know if he changed his routine or just had a bad day. Who knows? But I do agree with the posters that there are psychological aspects that have to be taken into consideration with pitchers. Pitchers tend to pitch well in defined roles.

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2021 at 4:49 PM, Tony-OH said:

Actually I think the Orioles felt they could use Plutko to go one inning as an opener and then give it over to Zimmermann when he could face the back end of the middle of the order or lower. It just failed miserably because Plutko was awful.

Personally, I hate the openers and think Zimmermann should have started, but understand what they were trying to do. 

I wasn't a fan of letting Plutko start as the routine can be quite different from relief, but I don't know if he changed his routine or just had a bad day. Who knows? But I do agree with the posters that there are psychological aspects that have to be taken into consideration with pitchers. Pitchers tend to pitch well in defined roles.

Hyde, Plutko and Zimmermann all said they only expected Plutko to pitch an inning or two as an opener in that game.  

I say keep doing it. Why give up after it not working one time?  If a team stacks RHP against Lowther/Zimmerman/Akin, then let Plutko be the opener those days. 

“We should be more like TB!!!”  “Oh it failed once, we always yo yo pitchers around.”

Newsflash, we’re not exactly having too many high leverage innings to give Plutko out the pen. 

• Upvote 1