When should the O’s call up Rutschman?

Frobby

When should the O’s call up Rutschman?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. When should the O’s call up Rutschman?

• Now - he’s as ready as he needs to be and will benefit from the experience
    • Later this summer if he continues to do well in AA
    • He should get promoted to AAA soon and get called up later if he does well there
    • September call-up, only if he keeps doing well
    • Opening Day 2022
    • Not until service time deadline for free agency passes in 2022
    • Not until Super-2 status is likely passed in 2022

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/12/21 at 01:11

9 hours ago, Explosivo said:

Just embrace this year as a dead year. After last year’s lack of fans, any fans is a win. People who are fans of the team may not check up on the team after every game but Baltimore is a baseball town. When the team starts to win again, the town won’t just turn their backs on em. The important thing to do is to make the window of competitive baseball as long as possible by not starting the future too early. Be patient. This year is in the books already, no need to salvage it by selling a marginal amount more of tickets and sacrificing a year’s playing time when we are competitive. 

Patience, please.

Wrong again! Baltimore is, has been and always will be a football town.  Even when the Colts were here, Baltimore was football first.  These two sentences prove to you that it isn't a baseball town.  What you're referring to are fair weather fans that walk away when the team is bad and hop back on when the ship hopefully rights itself.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Well then in that case, I will mourn the explosion of your head...somewhere around year 7?

I'll be OK, of course the rest of the board might have me on /ignore after having me say I told you so about ownership not be willing to spend over all that time.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CarrRun49 said:

Wrong again! Baltimore is, has been and always will be a football town.  Even when the Colts were here, Baltimore was football first.  These two sentences prove to you that it isn't a baseball town.  What you're referring to are fair weather fans that walk away when the team is bad and hop back on when the ship hopefully rights itself.  

Yep the only time this was a baseball town was when they didn't have a football team.

I actually disagree..I think this is a baseball town first or, at least it used to be(as of recently)

As the older generation “dies off”, baseball, as a sport, is struggling with the gaining the younger viewer.  That could impact things.

It also helps that the Ravens are one best run organizations in sports.  But I think most Ravens and Os fans would take a WS over a SB.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I actually disagree..I think this is a baseball town first or, at least it used to be(as of recently)

As the older generation “dies off”, baseball, as a sport, is struggling with the gaining the younger viewer.  That could impact things.

It also helps that the Ravens are one best run organizations in sports.  But I think most Ravens and Os fans would take a WS over a SB.

From what I have seen during the heyday of the Orioles they were still second fiddle to the Colts.

That didn't really change until the Colts moved, and it quickly changed back when the Ravens arrived.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

From what I have seen during the heyday of the Orioles they were still second fiddle to the Colts.

That didn't really change until the Colts moved, and it quickly changed back when the Ravens arrived.

I don’t think that’s the case.

What I do think is the excitement level for a Colts game or a Ravens game is much higher simply because they are so few of them.  Every week is a big event.

29 minutes ago, CarrRun49 said:

It wasn’t a football town in the early 80’s. The Colts were a joke and the Orioles owned the town. 

I mean is St Louis a great baseball town or is it due to always being good? I’m sure it’s both but you get my point.  Since 1998 this team except for a 5 year stretch has been terrible. That 5 year run TV ratings were high and attendance was over 2M every year.  

You can’t put a bad product out for that long and blame the fans for anything. And yes I realize that during the Orioles peak the Colts did own the town.  

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

This is meaningless.

There are at least 15 current players who easily could be cut or have their contracts expire that are on the 40 man.

That does not include Davis or any trades that could be made.

If this is part of Elias’ thinking, he shouldn’t have a job running a team.

I agree there  are 15 or 16 spots that could turn over between now and December.   That does not mean Elias will put Rutschman or Grayson on the 40 man roster this fall.  That has not been the way he does roster management . If he has open spots he will fill them with Rule 5 guys, waiver claims or cheap purchases.   

There could be 10-14 minor leaguers protected from the Rule 5 draft when looking at the  rosters now.  But that will change as they play more.

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It was a baseball town for a variety of reasons from about 79-99. The Orioles faded and Ravens peaked at the same time basically. I can recall how hard it was to find someone to go with me to Ravens games 96-99. 

I don’t think the younger generation is into any sport the way previous generations were. 

I do think from a PR standpoint only calling Adley up next year around the same time Wieters was called up makes the most sense. 

You could argue a September call up keeps interest higher and that would be true but with Ravens season underway and kids back in school you aren’t going to get that pop you would later. 

Now I get that people would say you call him up for baseball reasons and not marketing. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

I do think from a PR standpoint only calling Adley up next year around the same time Wieters was called up makes the most sense. 

You could argue a September call up keeps interest higher and that would be true but with Ravens season underway and kids back in school you aren’t going to get that pop you would later. 

Now I get that people would say you call him up for baseball reasons and not marketing. 

Why would it make sense from a PR standpoint to wait another year to call him up?

That seems like the opposite of good PR to me.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Why would it make sense from a PR standpoint to wait another year to call him up?

That seems like the opposite of good PR to me.

Gives people something to look forward to. World still getting back to normal. 

If you are going to do it waiting until Ravens season starts makes no sense to me. You want his first game on a Tuesday night in September? 

Just now, eddie83 said:

Gives people something to look forward to. World still getting back to normal. 

If you are going to do it waiting until Ravens season starts makes no sense to me. You want his first game on a Tuesday night in September? 

The fans already know he will be at the ML level next year.

A good PR move would give them something to look forward to THIS YEAR.  

And I agree that bringing him up in Sept is a bad move.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

The fans already know he will be at the ML level next year.

A good PR move would give them something to look forward to THIS YEAR.  

And I agree that bringing him up in Sept is a bad move.

I think they should send him back down to the GCL once their season starts so he can be properly dominant there.