Felix Bautista 2021

orioles22

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We should be developing him with knowing that we have to protect him on the 40 man roster. We shouldn’t just give an arm like his away. 

I agree, we shouldn't lose an arm like his. I also think it's crazy to talk about trading Scott.

12 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Unlike Adley I think he could get a look in September. 

I wonder with the potential work stoppage this offseason whether they will try to keep these guy off the roster. Then again, he'll need to be added to the 40-man roster this offseason anyways so it may be a moot point.

37 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

26 years old and only 13.1 innings in AA - with 11 walks.  

Unlike Tanner Scott, the difference with Bautitsta is that he seems to be dominant, then will walk a guy, but he doesn't just show up and can't throw a strike at all. He doesn't throw a ton of non competitive pitches so although his control is not great, I think it's better than his walk total would appear. 

The guy literally has been sitting 99-101 when I've been watching him of late and he's an imposing figure on the mound.

It would be interesting to see how he adjusts to the major league ball and how the more patient AAA hitters try to wait him out.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I wonder with the potential work stoppage this offseason whether they will try to keep these guy off the roster. Then again, he'll need to be added to the 40-man roster this offseason anyways so it may be a moot point.

Unlike Tanner Scott, the difference with Bautitsta is that he seems to be dominant, then will walk a guy, but he doesn't just show up and can't throw a strike at all. He doesn't throw a ton of non competitive pitches so although his control is not great, I think it's better than his walk total would appear. 

The guy literally has been sitting 99-101 when I've been watching him of late and he's an imposing figure on the mound.

It would be interesting to see how he adjusts to the major league ball and how the more patient AAA hitters try to wait him out.

Thanks for that evaluation.  To me, it's bizarre that Tanner doesn't seem to trust his fastball - but does trust his slider - even though sliders are much less predictable.  Intuitiively, it seems to me that a Major League pitcher should always be able to command a fastball, but I guess that's not the case.

13 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Thanks for that evaluation.  To me, it's bizarre that Tanner doesn't seem to trust his fastball - but does trust his slider - even though sliders are much less predictable.  Intuitiively, it seems to me that a Major League pitcher should always be able to command a fastball, but I guess that's not the case.

I always remember that I heard Scott has a circulation problem that causes has hands to be very cold and tingle like they are asleep sometimes. Whether that's still the case I don't know, but it would explain why sometimes he has no feel for being able to throw a strike. It's why I never think he'll be consistent enough to be counted on.

3 hours ago, Ruzious said:

I don't think your intuition is correct in this case. A lot of guys can "feel" a curve/slider better than a fastball. 

6 hours ago, Ruzious said:

26 years old and only 13.1 innings in AA - with 11 walks.  

You forgot to mention that he punches out 17 per 9 and gave up 2 whole hits in those 13.1 innings. 

Im not crowning him yet I’m just saying he has shown dominant stuff and nobody is talking about him. I’ve seen every outing up close. He’s impressive.

3 minutes ago, Orioles4Life21 said:

You forgot to mention that he punches out 17 per 9 and gave up 2 whole hits in those 13.1 innings. 

Im not crowning him yet I’m just saying he has shown dominant stuff and nobody is talking about him. I’ve seen every outing up close. He’s impressive.

I didn't mention the SO's because I was pretty sure that every single person here already knew it.  

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I didn't mention the SO's because I was pretty sure that every single person here already knew it.  

You’re the only one who knew he has a high walk rate then? 

Seemed more like you’re writing him off without the full context of how he’s performed. 

• Upvote 1