Felix Bautista 2021

orioles22

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Bishop is just in Delmarva on rehab.  He has been at Bowie.   I think he was O's pitcher of the month in June at Bowie.

He was.   I’m not thinking he’s a must-protect though.  He doesn’t have anything in his repertoire that really stands out.   

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Just checking here.  Who are we talking about Burdi or Bautista?

Bautista. It will be interesting to see how they handle Burdi. Really nice arm but he's been awful for two years now. I think they keep him and see if they can fix him, but if they have a roster crunch he could go. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Sorry, I thought we were discussing Bautista since this is his thread. 

Somehow Burdi came into the conversation.  I thought I had heard that he touches 100 mph.    The question was if we think he stays on the 40 man over the winter.   I'm inclined to think Bautista gets added to the 40 man and Burdi survives until next spring, unless the reports on Burdi are not so.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Somehow Burdi came into the conversation.  I thought I had heard that he touches 100 mph.    The question was if we think he stays on the 40 man over the winter.   I'm inclined to think Bautista gets added to the 40 man and Burdi survives until next spring, unless the reports on Burdi are not so.

Burdi is an interesting case because the arm is nice, but the results have been awful for the last two years now. I think they are going to give a long look this September and if they think they can fix him, they'll keep him around. There are a lot more guys I'd drop off the 40-man first than him.

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

So who goes off this list?

1. Mancini 1B
  2. Mountcastle  DH/1B 
  3. Mateo SS
  4. Urias 3B
  5. Bannon 2B/3B
  6. Jones 2B/LF
  7. Dorrian 3B
  8. Vavra 2B 
  9. Nevin 1B
  10. Mullins CF
  11. Santander RF
  12. Hays LF
  13. Neustrom RF
  14. McKenna CF
  15. Stewart OF
  16. Diaz OF
  17. Severino C
  18. Means  SP
  19. Baumann SP
  20. Zimmermann SP
  21. T Wells 
  22. Bradish SP
  23. DL Hall SP
  24. Akins SP
  25. Kremer SP
  26. Lowther SP
  27. A Wells SP
  28. Blaine  Knight SP
  29. Smith SP
  30. Fry RP
  31. Scott RP
  32. Sulser
  33. Lopez
  34. H Harvey
  35. Tate 
  36. Bishop
  37. Bautista
  38. Burdi
  39. Diplan
  40. Grenier
  41. Rule 5 guy where O's pick #1

This does not include Greene or Ellis if they pitch well.

None of Grenier, Blaine Knight, Bishop, and Dorrian get added I'm guessing and Severino is a goner after the season.

There's also a group of guys (Nevin, Martin, Harvey, Diaz, Burdi, and Bannon) that I'm fine with stashing in Norfolk if there's room but I'm fine with giving up on at this point if they need the roster spot.

I'm a foolish fool who still holds out hope that some ML free agents will be signed this offseason, so I hope they do need the space.

9 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

He doesn't touch 100, he can sit 100 on certain days. His fastball is the best on the system velocity wise. there is a little doubt he's going to be protected from the rule 5 because he would absolutely be taken.

Wow! That's exciting to hear.

Another good outing for Bautista tonight, 1IP 0H 2K 1 BB 1 Save

He has walked 27 guys in 38 IP this year (6.4 BB/9) which is concerning. Protecting him this winter and letting him work on throwing strikes in Norfolk next spring seems like the best move.

10 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

None of Grenier, Blaine Knight, Bishop, and Dorrian get added I'm guessing and Severino is a goner after the season.

There's also a group of guys (Nevin, Martin, Harvey, Diaz, Burdi, and Bannon) that I'm fine with stashing in Norfolk if there's room but I'm fine with giving up on at this point if they need the roster spot.

I'm a foolish fool who still holds out hope that some ML free agents will be signed this offseason, so I hope they do need the space.

You’re not a foolish fool. We will sign Iglesias for SS and a similar C, but they will be on milb deals with invitations to ST. Elias will keep 40 man flexibility all offseason because we have #1 waiver priority as well. 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I think one way or another Bautista is protected. I would also add Nevin to the list of guys who are lower priority. I can't imagine anyone wants to commit a roster spot to him for a whole season. If it came to it I would also try to pass Lopez through waivers before exposing Bautista. 

Lopez can probably be a very serviceable setup guy.    There should be no reason you can't keep him on the 40 man and add Bautista.   

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I think one way or another Bautista is protected. I would also add Nevin to the list of guys who are lower priority. I can't imagine anyone wants to commit a roster spot to him for a whole season. If it came to it I would also try to pass Lopez through waivers before exposing Bautista. 

Nevin will be DFA'd before setting the rosters. 

• 10 months later...
On 7/23/2021 at 2:20 PM, Tony-OH said:

It is time to start talking about this guy.

Listed at 6-5, 190, the announcer said last night that he's now 6-7, 270 and let me tell you, he looks every bit of the size. 

Bautista has the best arm in the organization for pure velocity hitting 100 and 101 pretty regularly and sitting 98+. He still doesn't always knows where its going, but he's throwing enough strikes now that he's really interesting. He offsets it with a nice slider and has even thrown a change on occasion.

Is the walk rate too high still? Yes.
Does he have command? Not really
Can he throw 100 MPH? That would be a yes.

He threw a ball up and in that knocked a hitter on his butt. He threw it so hard, the trainer had to come out to see if the batter was ok because I'm pretty sure his heart rate was going about 220 beats a minute. If I had to guess, the batter told the trainer and manager, "That ball sounded fast"

All I know is that batting against a guy that big with that fastball and that wildness can not be a comfortable at bat. Bautista is 26 years old and will have to be protected on the 40-man this year because with this arm he will be taken. Honestly they probably should give him a feel for the major league ball and move him to AAA because right now he's basically just throwing balls by most AA hitters.

He's held batters this season to a .105/.269/.184/.453 slash line and let me tell you, no one digs in against him. 

Called this one.. ;)

• Upvote 2