Wednesday June 16 in Cleveland: and the beat goes on

SteveA

Just now, SteveA said:

Jake deGrom retired the first 9 batters he faces tonight, striking out 8 of them.  People had to be starting to think of a Server or Wood-like 19 or 20 K night.

And then he left with a sore arm.

Well if deGrom is pitching hurt, I'd hate to see when he's at 100%. But this is at least the second time now in the past two weeks that deGrom's had to sit with a sore arm. Hope it's not something serious that will require Dr. James Andrews. 

23 minutes ago, SteveA said:

You mean his starter who retired 11 in a row before giving up a 2 out walk and hit in the 6th???

Yes that’s exactly what I mean. When the boy turns into a pumpkin, you don’t leave him in too long, and once again he did, and he almost always does.Yes that’s exactly what I mean. When the boy turns into a pumpkin, you don’t leave him in too long, and once again he did, and he almost always does.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Well if deGrom is pitching hurt, I'd hate to see when he's at 100%. But this is at least the second time now in the past two weeks that deGrom's had to sit with a sore arm. Hope it's not something serious that will require Dr. James Andrews. 

Shame it's the NL and they can't DH him.  He might be their best bat.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yes that’s exactly what I mean. When the boy turns into a pumpkin, you don’t leave him in too long, and once again he did, and he almost always does.Yes that’s exactly what I mean. When the boy turns into a pumpkin, you don’t leave him in too long, and once again he did, and he almost always does.

When would you have taken him out, in the 3rd?  You think anyone from the pen would have gotten the last 3 outs in the 3rd, a 1-2-3 4th, a 1-2-3 5th, and the first two outs in the 6th?

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

When would you have taken him out, in the 3rd?  You think anyone from the pen would have gotten the last 3 outs in the 3rd, a 1-2-3 4th, a 1-2-3 5th, and the first two outs in the 6th?

They BP is kinda sketchy anyways but some would have blown it out it the quarter mark.

24 minutes ago, Philip said:

I think you missed SteveA's point. Using your metaphor, the pumpkin turned back into a golden carriage for 3.67 innings. Not saying, of course, that Hyde expected that strong of a recovery, but.

39 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Steve, Brandon hide knows our pitchers’ pitch limits. He knows how long they last before they run out of gas. For Lopez, it’s about 65 pitches. Once they’ve hit that limit, you are taking a major risk to continue past it. At one point, around Lopez’s ninth start, I went back and looked at every single one of his starts and saw the point at which he was obviously done And when Hyde took him out. Most of the time he left him in too long, the reliever came in with runners on, and what happened next is not for children to watch.

I do not know what Akins “Expiration date” is, but yes, he had settle down in the middle innings, but he had still thrown 96 pitches. I do not know how many Were thrown in that last 2/3 of an inning, But Hyde should have let someone else start the inning.

Well, I just checked, and Akin opened the sixth with two consecutive strikeouts, So that’s OK. I do not know whether Harvey was ready to come in or was still warming up, I think he was ready to come in, so Hyde should’ve pulled him after the walk.

Make no mistake, if Hyde wants to let him pitch a few more pitches, that’s all right, although I would not have done it. Pull him at the first sign of trouble. But I would much rather pull a starter too soon than too late.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

Steve, Brandon hide knows our pitchers’ pitch limits. He knows how long they last before they run out of gas. For Lopez, it’s about 65 pitches. Once they’ve hit that limit, you are taking a major risk to continue past it. At one point, around Lopez’s ninth start, I went back and looked at every single one of his starts and saw the point at which he was obviously done And when Hyde took him out. Most of the time he left him in too long, the reliever came in with runners on, and what happened next is not for children to watch.

I do not know what Akins “Expiration date” is, but yes, he had settle down in the middle innings, but he had still thrown 96 pitches. I do not know how many Were thrown in that last 2/3 of an inning, But Hyde should have let someone else start the inning.

Well, I just checked, and Akin opened the sixth with two consecutive strikeouts, So that’s OK. I do not know whether Harvey was ready to come in or was still warming up, I think he was ready to come in, so Hyde should’ve pulled him after the walk.

Make no mistake, if Hyde wants to let him pitch a few more pitches, that’s all right, although I would not have done it. Pull him at the first sign of trouble. But I would much rather pull a starter too soon than too late.

The hitter due after the walk was left-handed and Hyde had Akin face the lefty rather than bring the right-handed Harvey in to face the lefty.