Coby Mayo 2021

Sports Guy

23 minutes ago, joelala said:

Can the case be made that he currently has the highest offensive ceiling in the system? I think he’ll be on at least one top 100 list next spring. 

Outside of Adley I think he has the highest power ceiling in the system. Kid is 6'5, athletic, working on an uppercut swing and still has room to pack on muscle. Question with him will be the hit tool and defense at third as he grows. Too early for top 100

Just now, LTO's said:

Outside of Adley I think he has the highest power ceiling in the system. Kid is 6'5, athletic, working on an uppercut swing and still has room to pack on muscle. Question with him will be the hit tool and defense at third as he grows. Too early for top 100

Kjerstad has the highest power ceiling…but Mayo is “in the system” right now, so if you put that caveat in place, I think this is true.

But if Kjerstad is back, I think he takes the #1 spot in that discussion.

4 minutes ago, LTO's said:

See I think he may have a higher power ceiling than Adley. But yea, I guess mid season next year, if he keeps showing like this, would be the earliest he’d crack any lists. 

We'll have to wait and see what Keith Law thinks.   Of course, that may depend on his comments regarding Mayo on the day he was drafted.  ?

Mayo didn’t wind up in the top 100 of Keith Law of The Athletic or MLB.com prior to the draft, but FanGraphs (No. 67) and Baseball America (No. 79) are more bullish on the 18-year-old. FanGraphs notes Mayo has “surprising bat control for size,” while BA credits him for his “raw power,” “solid zone recognition and a mature approach at the plate.” There are some questions as to whether the 6-foot-5, 215-pounder will stick as an infielder in pro ball, but the Orioles do view him as “strictly” a third baseman, Joe Trezza of MLB.com tweets.

3 hours ago, LTO's said:

Question with him will be the hit tool and defense at third as he grows.

Well, he apparently has the arm for third, which was rated 70 in the MLB article.  The 70 rating was the highest skill of any of the O’s top ten prospects.  Very exciting prospect who is just starting out.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

He is definitely trending up. The more I've watched him at Delmarva the more I really think he may be something special. I just really like his ABs and for young inexperienced hitter, he really doesn't get fooled all that much. He has BIG time power that comes from a violent, but smooth swing.

Defensively he's got plenty of arm for the hot corner but still needs to work on his foot work on his throws. My biggest concern for him over there is his height. There are not many long time, 6-5 third basemans in MLB history. Kris Bryant is 6-5 and has played some third base, but they also used him in the outfield and first base. Alec Bohm is 6-5 but has been well below average defensively so far in the big leagues and may need to move to first base, 

Scott Rolen was 6-4 and played an effective 3B across his entire career, as well as Mike Lowell, but those guys are few and far between. Obviously Cal Ripken was 6-4 and some say 6-5 and ended up playing 3B effectively after moving there later in his career.

I haven't seen enough of him defensively to say he'll need to move so he certainly should play there everyday for now. 

Either way, I love the K-BB ratio combined with the huge power and the good arm combo. He's not going to win a ton of sprint races, but he's not base clogger so if he needed to move to the right field he would probably be fine speed wise. 

He has impressed me. He's the one guy on Delmarva that looks like a "can't miss guy" and he's the youngest. Not to say I don't like others there, but Mayo right now really has stood out to me.

So are you saying that Elias might be the smartest guy in the room?

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So are you saying that Elias might be the smartest guy in the room?

Depends on the room! ;)

I think you know me well enough that I'm not easily impressed by new prospects. I make them show me why I should be impressed besides their draft status and bonus. 

Mayo just kinda jumps out at me like Machado did. I'm not saying he's Machado, but he's the last guy I saw at 19 that just jumped out at me as not looking like the others.