Monday June 21: First summer game sees Orioles host Astros

SteveA

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

The Orioles have had a hitless rain shortened game before.  It was a game 162 at Fenway during one of the 14 straight losing seasons. Couldn't tell you which one 

Here it is.  Devern Hansack no hit us in a 5 inning game.  Our season ended an hour after we left the field when the umps called the game.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS200610010.shtml

1 minute ago, Beysbol said:

So, will they call this game and it will be a no-hitter? Or if they don't get the game in, will they just call it for Houston? I'm confused on how this works. 

I'm not sure.  They changed some rules for Covid and some games get suspended and resumed that would not have, Pre-Covid.

Pre Covid, the umps had to wait at least an hour and if they felt the game couldn't continue tonight, it would be called and the final would be 7-0.  Like Madison Bumgarner's 7 inning no hitter earlier this year, it would technically not be listed as a no hitter, even though it is.

But I don't know if that's different under 2020-21 rules.

18 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

By fielding a team that was built to be neither competitive nor temporarily non-competitive in order to give younger players opportunities and experience, the Orioles (and some other clubs) are disrespecting and harming the game that provides their livelihood. The Orioles compound that misconduct by repeatedly failing to make plays, in the field and on the bases, that a good high school team should make and a decent college team would make -- and apparently making no serious effort to correct those glaring errors. If they have a manager and coaches who are working to improve their level of play or correct hose errors, it's not apparent.

It's not quite the 1899 Cleveland Spiders, but there are some disturbing similarities.

There’s a fine line between actively sabotaging your team, and deliberately refusing to Make moves that would help the team. There are many moves that could be made that would help the team improve now, be more watchable now, without interrupting “the plan.” 
It is a defensible argument to say that Mike is deliberately not making those moves because he deliberately wants us to lose, as opposed to just not trying to win. As I said there is a very fine line between the two. This is why I strongly feel that Brandon Hyde should not get a second contract. Even with the circumstances, the fact that fundamental baseball is so bad must be on him.

11 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I'm not sure.  They changed some rules for Covid and some games get suspended and resumed that would not have, Pre-Covid.

Pre Covid, the umps had to wait at least an hour and if they felt the game couldn't continue tonight, it would be called and the final would be 7-0.  Like Madison Bumgarner's 7 inning no hitter earlier this year, it would technically not be listed as a no hitter, even though it is.

But I don't know if that's different under 2020-21 rules.

His no hitter was in a double header and they technically had a complete game.  His is considered a no hitter even though I dont because of the stupid little league games for double headers and the stupid extra inning thing.  I personally liked 17 inning games when they have to bring in a starter or already did and have to bring in a position player.  No one complains if a dumb NBA game goes into double OT*.  

*Except Lebron, because he complains about everything.  Should be complaining about his hairline from the HGH he took to get to where his lazy A.. is because MJ would have cleaned up on him.

1 minute ago, sevastras said:

His no hitter was in a double header and they technically had a complete game.  His is considered a no hitter even though I dont because of the stupid little league games for double headers and the stupid extra inning thing.  I personally liked 17 inning games when they have to bring in a starter or already did and have to bring in a position player.  No one complains if a dumb NBA game goes into double OT.  

No, MLB officially does not consider Bumgarner  as pitching a no hitter.  He does not make the list.