FCL happenings

Frobby

20 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Even though it's just 5 games, Cowser's OBP of .737 is insane.  He needs better competition.  

You're probably right, but the "even though it's just 5 games" completely disqualifies the meaningfulness of those statistics. I love the start, but hot streaks happen all the time.

29 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

You're probably right, but the "even though it's just 5 games" completely disqualifies the meaningfulness of those statistics. I love the start, but hot streaks happen all the time.

I’d venture to say that a .737 OBP over five games doesn’t happen very often at all.   I agree five games isn’t too meaningful (especially since we’re talking about the FCL here), but in terms of pure statistical rarity, I think you’d be hard pressed to find many instances of this at any level.   

Edit- as best I can tell, the year that Ted Williams hit .400, he had one five-game streak where he topped .737 OBP.  Joe DiMaggio never did it during his 56-game hitting streak.   

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d venture to say that a .737 OBP over five games doesn’t happen very often at all.   I agree five games isn’t too meaningful (especially since we’re talking about the FCL here), but in terms of pure statistical rarity, I think you’d be hard pressed to find many instances of this at any level.   

And even harder pressed to find any such instances that are meaningful.

There are times when you play that you can't miss the ball. There are times when you play when you hit it where they aint. There are times when the opposing pitchers are bad, and there are times when you're just damn good. This is some combination of all of those, I'd guess.

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

But those are his only 5 games.  Has anyone started their pro career like that?

I don't know, likely because to know that would be meaningless.

Don't get me wrong. I like it and it's fun, but the chances that we have Ted Williams on our hands are pretty small, and this little hot streak wouldn't indicate that one way or the other anyhow.

On 8/11/2021 at 11:48 AM, Frobby said:

I would think the players would like this schedule.   Fewer bus rides and sleeping in the same bed 6 nights in a row when on the road.   My only real beef is that in some of the leagues we are playing the same teams over and over.    Norfolk has played Jacksonville in more than 25% of their games.   

My beef is that there are no minor league games to follow on Mondays. Would prefer if each level had a different off-day, say Monday for A+ and A, Tuesday for AA, Wednesday for AAA.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

I don't know, likely because to know that would be meaningless.

Don't get me wrong. I like it and it's fun, but the chances that we have Ted Williams on our hands are pretty small, and this little hot streak wouldn't indicate that one way or the other anyhow.

Ted Williams?  What?  The only suggestion made was that he should be playing at a higher level now.  

4 hours ago, Ruzious said:

But those are his only 5 games.  Has anyone started their pro career like that?

I do remember we drafted some guy a few years back who got on base something like 10 of his first 11 PA.   He wasn’t a high pick, either.   I’ll have to see if I can dig up the name.   He didn’t amount to anything.

It wasn’t five games though, just two or three.  

Edit: it was 2018 31st round pick John Ham.   He went 6 for 6 with 4 walks in his first two games, so a 1.000 OBP through 10 PA.   He ended the year batting .205/.301/.288 and was released sometime between then and this year.   

Matt Wieters had a .611 OBP in his first 5 games at Frederick.  

3 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Ted Williams?  What?  The only suggestion made was that he should be playing at a higher level now.  

But we already knew that before he had a single AB. That's my only point.

He's here essentially for orientation. These silly small sample size conclusions are meaningless.