2021 Draft Thread

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think he was praising the strategy just as much as he was praising the pick.  

Look, none of you should be surprised.  There wasn't a consensus top pick in this draft.  There wasn't a consensus top 5 in this draft.  The projections have been all over the place since the start of the year.  

Therefore, it's not a surprise that Elias looks to be doing what he did last year.  An underslot player and saving money to spend later.  Again, none of you should be surprised.

I admit, I've done hardly any looking at the talent in the draft this year so I'm not as irate as I was last year when we didn't draft Martin.

But I don't hear anyone here whining about having Westburg in our system.  I don't hear anyone whining about having Hudson Haskin in our system.  I don't hear anyone whining about having Servideo in our system.  I don't hear anyone whining about having Mayo in our system.  

I keep comping him to Jomar Reyes and saying I'd rather they had gone slot at 1-2 then go overslot for him.  That count as whining?

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think he was praising the strategy just as much as he was praising the pick.  

Look, none of you should be surprised.  There wasn't a consensus top pick in this draft.  There wasn't a consensus top 5 in this draft.  The projections have been all over the place since the start of the year.  

Therefore, it's not a surprise that Elias looks to be doing what he did last year.  An underslot player and saving money to spend later.  Again, none of you should be surprised.

I admit, I've done hardly any looking at the talent in the draft this year so I'm not as irate as I was last year when we didn't draft Martin.

But I don't hear anyone here whining about having Westburg in our system.  I don't hear anyone whining about having Hudson Haskin in our system.  I don't hear anyone whining about having Servideo in our system.  I don't hear anyone whining about having Mayo in our system.  

Your point is valid but Kjrrsted and Baumler are already down with vague return dates, so the choice hasn’t panned out yet. And we still need a good SS.

Now that I’m finished apologizing for the f-bombs that I dropped, I’m not thrilled with taking a lesser player two years in a row.  Kjerstad is now likely to be 26 or so before he makes it to the bigs, if he does at all.  Baumler, who knows what he’ll be or how long it will take after elbow surgery.  I don’t believe in Servideo.  If it weren’t for Westburg, last year’s draft looks awful.

Just now, NCRaven said:

Now that I’m finished apologizing for the f-bombs that I dropped, I’m not thrilled with taking a lesser player two years in a row.  Kjerstad is now likely to be 26 or so before he makes it to the bigs, if he does at all.  Baumler, who knows what he’ll be or how long it will take after elbow surgery.  I don’t believe in Servideo.  If it weren’t for Westburg, last year’s draft looks awful.

Westburg has NOTHING to do with the O's going underslot last year.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I keep comping him to Jomar Reyes and saying I'd rather they had gone slot at 1-2 then go overslot for him.  That count as whining?

You're always whining.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Your point is valid but Kjrrsted and Baumler are already down with vague return dates, so the choice hasn’t panned out yet. And we still need a good SS.

No chance Elias picked those guys last year with knowledge that they were damaged goods.

3 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Longenhagen and Goldstein over at FG just mentioned that there’s a lot of scouts who really like Cowser. 

That is good to hear. And my sincere wish is Cowser goes on to have a long and prosperous career in the Orange and Black. 

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

No it doesn't.  Mayo.