Monday July 19: O's travel to St Pete to try to win their 3rd in a row

SteveA

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yeah but Mike Wright Junior never did that well

But I'd say he was more impressive in those first two starts: more innings with more raw "stuff" (14.33 IP, 0 runs, 7 hits, 10 Ks, 3 BBs, 0 HRs, 188 pitches).

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

I did not know that he had so much work yesterday, I Question why he brought him in at all.

Well he didn't want to use Scott or Tate for a 3rd straight game.  Plutko's role is to eat innings when a starter leaves early, which happens a lot on this team (plus he pitched a little yesterday too and isn't used to going back to back).  Anderson is for mopup or fir a REALLY big lead.

So that pretty much left Sulser/Fry/Wells/Valdez to finish out the game once Watkins got us to the 6th with a lead.  And I guess he had more faith in Sulser than Valdez.

I know you like to simplify it and think the only decision a manager has to make is get a pitcher out at the "right time" or leave him in.  But it's actually far more complex and dynamic.  You also have to have someone in reserve in case a game goes to extra innings.  And you need to think about who will be available tomorrow based on who you use today, for all potential situations including tomorrow's starter getting knocked out early.

• Upvote 1