Mancini back over .800 OPS

Frobby

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He just hit one 455 feet.   I guess nobody told him the Derby is over!

O's are going to have to get him a raptor to fly around the dugout to counter Alonso's prancing horse in the Mets'.

24 minutes ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

What is an OPS we’d like to see players at? 

Whats too low? 
Whats average? 
Whats considered good/great?

Well, it varies a little from year to year and depending on the ballpark you play in.  But I’d say:

.900+ great

.850+ very good

.800+ good

.750+ decent

..700+ tolerable 

<.700 looking for someone better   

AL average this year is .724

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

What is an OPS we’d like to see players at? 

Whats too low? 
Whats average? 
Whats considered good/great?

Depends on the position but generally speaking if you are a sub 700 OPS guy, that’s not good…800+ is good..900+ is getting into MVP level.

Not related to Mancini, but related to offensive performances overall - I've been very disappointed in Mountcastle's July after an excellent, Rookie of the Month, effort in June.  Thought he was taking off.  Walk rate is better but he's not making consistent, hard contact.

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

Not related to Mancini, but related to offensive performances overall - I've been very disappointed in Mountcastle's July after an excellent, Rookie of the Month, effort in June.  Thought he was taking off.  Walk rate is better but he's not making consistent, hard contact.

He has good value but he’s a rather limited player.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

He’s up to .827 after last night’s game   He’s fun to watch when he’s dialed in, as he appears to be right now.

His swing doesn't even look that vicious. But the ball just jumps off his bat.

• 4 weeks later...

This has been mentioned in other threads, but seems relevant to note in this thread that Mancini's atrocious August has pulled his OPS down to .775. I suspect the grind of playing a full season is having an impact (and the terrible losing streak is probably challenging too), but his 2021 season has been highly variable month-to-month so who knows. Will be interesting to see if Mancini gets hot again or sort of limps to the finish line. 

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

This has been mentioned in other threads, but seems relevant to note in this thread that Mancini's atrocious August has pulled his OPS down to .775. I suspect the grind of playing a full season is having an impact (and the terrible losing streak is probably challenging too), but his 2021 season has been highly variable month-to-month so who knows. Will be interesting to see if Mancini gets hot again or sort of limps to the finish line. 

I think it will be interesting to see who he plays for next season.

It doesn't make much sense from a baseball standpoint for the O's to bring him back.

Of course if they have to have a minimum payroll they can do worse than throw some at Mancini...