The interesting case of Craig Lewis

Tony-OH

When the Orioles drafted Craig Lewis in the 33rd round in the 2019 draft as a 22 year old redshirt sophomore out of little Seton Hill University (not Seton Hall), it didn't register a blip.

Lewis was assigned to the GCL Orioles and crushed the younger competition with a .417 /453/.458/.911 over 53 PAs before getting promoted to Aberdeen where he slashed just .216/.231/.270/.501 in 39 PAs. He did not hit homer in either stops after hitting just 5 in 306 PAs in college. 

After not making a full season club at 24 years of age this spring, it seemed like he was just the typical older guy who could hit younger pitching but struggled against age appropriate pitchers. 

The FCL season opened and surprisingly the 24-year old (easily the oldest player on either Orioles FCL team) was not only on the roster full of mostly Latin American talent, but he was playing everyday. He crushed the younger pitchers in the FCL once again to the tune of .435/.536/.652/1.188 earning himself a promotion to Delmarva (Low A).

This gave me my first look at the guy and the short, stocky kid has a nice quiet swing who made great swing decisions n the games I watched him. I guess the eye opener for me was when he connected on his only home run when he hit the ball well over 420+ feet to right center. That was no punch and judy home run.

After just 13 PAs, the Orioles have promoted Lewis surprisingly to Bowie where I'm guessing he's getting the sink or swim test. I'm a bit surprised he was sent all the way to Bowie so quickly, especially when Bowie has Stowers and Watson as priority plays and Rizer and Turchin filling out the rest. 

I'm not saying he's a prospect yet, but I do find it interesting that besides his short little Aberdeen time, he hasn't failed in the minors slashing .366/.430/.497/.927 in 165 PAs.

When Bowie starts back up on Tuesday, it will be interesting to see if Lewis is in the lineup and if he gets everyday PAs. The Orioles need to make room for all those outfielders they drafted so I'm pretty sure that's why they are giving guys these sink or swim opportunities. Turchin did well with his early on and then the league caught up to him and he's now in danger despite his solid defense and plus raw power.

Either way, Lewis is a fun case to watch. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

I had seen his name in the FCL box scores and was wondering why a 24-year old was playing there.   It is kind of surprising to see him in Bowie now.  

Me too, I was wondering the same.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Hm, I wonder if he will block JD Mundy from moving up though. Can't hurt to check out a lefty bat with 420 foot power. 

Mundy has been hurt and out of the lineup lately. He's only played two games (23 and 24th) since July 15th.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I thought he was back? Of course it would help if the team would give us any kind of minor league injury updates.

It would wouldn't it? He came back for two games then disappeared again. Unfortunately the Orioles are like getting secrets out of the Kremlin when it comes to injury issues for their minor leaguers.

Never seen anything like it and I've gone all the way to Elias to try and get it resolved but apparently, it comes from him since I was told they are all on the same sheet of music when it comes to giving out information. 

Doesn't change how they are rebuilding from my perspective, but it's annoying as a guy who has covered the team for this long to need it to be leaked out or wait until they give it to their MASN guys. Fans are following the minors and the Orioles only want to feed them good news stories and propaganda. 

It is what it is, but it's disappointing.