Elementary, my dear Watson

Frobby

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

His low OBP is concerning even though he's showed some pop. He's also not a CFer and probably belongs in LF. 

Well, that’s not good, especially the part about him not being a CF.   That considerably raises the standard of what he needs to do offensively.   

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

His low OBP is concerning even though he's showed some pop. He's also not a CFer and probably belongs in LF. 

Frobby really went with the low hanging fruit for this thread title. I expect more! :)

That said, I thought the best part about Watson's scouting reports was that he profiled as a no doubt CF. Either my memory is wrong, or the expectations have not been met. Low OBP aside (which is obviously a huge issue), that really changes my perception of him as a prospect.

24 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Frobby really went with the low hanging fruit for this thread title. I expect more! :)

That said, I thought the best part about Watson's scouting reports was that he profiled as a no doubt CF. Either my memory is wrong, or the expectations have not been met. Low OBP aside (which is obviously a huge issue), that really changes my perception of him as a prospect.

Your memory is correct.   There were a lot of 60/70 grades slapped on his CF defense when he was drafted.   

27 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I just haven't seen it myself. He doesn't look like he covers all that much ground and his routes need to improve. Defense though can be the hardest to judge on minor league broadcasts because most of the time you can't see the jumps, but he looks more like Austin Hays playing center than Mullins. 

He won't kill you out there, but he looks below average range wise to me.

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I just haven't seen it myself. He doesn't look like he covers all that much ground and his routes need to improve. Defense though can be the hardest to judge on minor league broadcasts because most of the time you can't see the jumps, but he looks more like Austin Hays playing center than Mullins. 

He won't kill you out there, but he looks below average range wise to me.

Would you say this is similar to someone like Hays? He was pegged as the CF of the future, but seeing him in person out there, he's a little more stiff than was advertised even though he does have speed. Now that we've seen him a lot in LF this year, that really feels like his true position and he's well above average out there which is a nice change for LF. 

18 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

He has been a disappointment.  Let's hope that Trimble and Rhodes are much better.

Has he?  3rd round pick putting up respectable numbers at AA.  Now I will say that I was also under the impression that he was a plus CF, so if that is not the case that definitely takes some shine off of him.  But if Trimble and Rhodes are both "much better" than him then they'd be some pretty darn good picks.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Would you say this is similar to someone like Hays? He was pegged as the CF of the future, but seeing him in person out there, he's a little more stiff than was advertised even though he does have speed. Now that we've seen him a lot in LF this year, that really feels like his true position and he's well above average out there which is a nice change for LF. 

I always thought of Hays as more of a good corner OF who could play CF if needed.    

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yes, I would say that's a good assessment from my perspective though Hays was seen as corner guy who could play CF. I liked Hays bat a lot more though. 

Watson to me just looks like he's going to be low OBP guy with some pop of a solid, but not CF type defensive outfielder with a slightly below average arm. 

This is only his first full season so I will not count him out, but at 24-years old, I think he is who he is at this point when it comes to the kind of player he's going to be. Can he improve, sure? Does having a little pop make him interesting a bit and worth seeing how it looks over the next few years, sure. But as you can see in my power rankings, he's more of a 4th outfielder type.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

Has he?  3rd round pick putting up respectable numbers at AA.  Now I will say that I was also under the impression that he was a plus CF, so if that is not the case that definitely takes some shine off of him.  But if Trimble and Rhodes are both "much better" than him then they'd be some pretty darn good picks.

I guess I look at his OBP and don't see a likely path to a major league contributor.  If you're 24 and can just barely get above .300 OBP in High A...