Baseball America #2 system

eddie83

19 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

We have quality depth but that's a subjective term so you probably aren't going to agree on what's quality depth.  We wouldn't be ranked that high without quality depth, which, by the way, gets deeper with each draft and J2 period.

I like our depth in position players a lot.

Where I question the depth is pitching.  I do think there’s a good chance we have some guys who can excel in the pen and that’s very valuable. 

The other thing I wonder is how our depth is viewed for “real trades”.

Real trades meaning adding real difference making talent.  In the past, the argument was that we couldn’t get into those discussions because we didn’t have the players to make those moves.  Putting aside Adley and GRod, who I don’t think the team would trade, does the depth exist to be all in on bigger moves?

That’s obviously more rhetorical as we don’t know right now but being able to make moves like that, as we have seen SD make several of, is the mark of a deep system.(of course it also helps if you can absorb money too)

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I like our depth in position players a lot.

Where I question the depth is pitching.  I do think there’s a good chance we have some guys who can excel in the pen and that’s very valuable. 

The other thing I wonder is how our depth is viewed for “real trades”.

Real trades meaning adding real difference making talent.  In the past, the argument was that we couldn’t get into those discussions because we didn’t have the players to make those moves.  Putting aside Adley and GRod, who I don’t think the team would trade, does the depth exist to be all in on bigger moves?

That’s obviously more rhetorical as we don’t know right now but being able to make moves like that, as we have seen SD make several of, is the mark of a deep system.

So, we don't have a deep system until we make moves like San Diego did?  Keep moving the goalpost.  Knock yourself out.

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

So, we don't have a deep system until we make moves like San Diego did?  Keep moving the goalpost.  Knock yourself out.

(edited by moderators)

All I’m saying is, when discussing just how truly deep a system is, that is definitely a factor and one that is actually measurable.

You, someone who knows very little, saying the system is deep means nothing.  You are a nobody.

How other teams view and evaluate our system and what they are willing to trade for our players does mean something.

Its just another way to measure it.  The Padres, using them as an example, were ranked high and were able to use that to acquire several players.  

A guy like Keith Law believes our system is overrated because he feels it lacks that upper level talent (especially international) outside of the top 2.  Im not saying he’s right (I think his ranking is a joke) but it’s also possible that is what he is being told by other scouts/GMs/teams around the league and that is playing a part in his rankings and thoughts.

Personally, I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.  I think once we get past the top 2, we have solid depth but I’m not sure we can compete with other teams to get the best of the best available.  

My only caveat to that is Hall.  If teams can look past the injury and value him as a top 50 guy, I think we can go out and get almost anyone.  I think most people wouldn’t be able to look past that though and would be looking to get him for 50-70 cents on the dollar.

I'm not worried about the farm ranking post Adley/Grayrod promotion. Having the top farm system is supposed to be short lived. However, I'd bet they are still easily top 10 for the next few years with the #1 pick coming up and probably another high one after that. I also think we are going to start seeing some international guys get national attention. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

JFC, you are a child.

All I’m saying is, when discussing just how truly deep a system is, that is definitely a factor and one that is actually measurable.

You, someone who knows very little, saying the system is deep means nothing.  You are a nobody.

How other teams view and evaluate our system and what they are willing to trade for our players does mean something.

Its just another way to measure it.  The Padres, using them as an example, were ranked high and were able to use that to acquire several players.  

A guy like Keith Law believes our system is overrated because he feels it lacks that upper level talent (especially international) outside of the top 2.  Im not saying he’s right (I think his ranking is a joke) but it’s also possible that is what he is being told by other scouts/GMs/teams around the league and that is playing a part in his rankings and thoughts.

Personally, I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.  I think once we get past the top 2, we have solid depth but I’m not sure we can compete with other teams to get the best of the best available.  

My only caveat to that is Hall.  If teams can look past the injury and value him as a top 50 guy, I think we can go out and get almost anyone.  I think most people wouldn’t be able to look past that though and would be looking to get him for 50-70 cents on the dollar.

These rankings can all be taken with a grain of salt.   However, you have 3 places that have us 1. 1. and 2.  So who do you as Mr. Somebody decide to go with.  Somewhere between those three rankings and Kieth Law.   I am a nobody.   You are dumber than a nobody.   

I don't feel our system is elite even though two places have us ranked 1.   It's not perfect.  There is room for improvement.   That does not mean we don't have quality depth right now.   You know even less than I do.  You know why?   Because I realize I don't have all of the answers and I don't know that much.   You are the idiot who still acts like he actually knows something about the draft each year.   I can tell you right now, I know a hell of a lot more about the players in our system than you do.   

P.S.  You still don't have the **** to laugh at yourself over your Christian Colon over Machado pick in that draft.   A real man would own it and just poke fun at himself.   Not you.   You have an explanation!   LOL

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

These rankings can all be taken with a grain of salt.   However, you have 3 places that have us 1. 1. and 2.  So who do you as Mr. Somebody decide to go with.  Somewhere between those three rankings and Kieth Law.   I am a nobody.   You are dumber than a nobody.   

I don't feel our system is elite even though two places have us ranked 1.   It's not perfect.  There is room for improvement.   That does not mean we don't have quality depth right now.   You know even less than I do.  You know why?   Because I realize I don't have all of the answers and I don't know that much.   You are the idiot who still acts like he actually knows something about the draft each year.   I can tell you right now, I know a hell of a lot more about the players in our system than you do.   

Lol.  Ok.  I’m happy for you.  

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Oh and btw, I have owned the Colon/Manny stuff a lot, even on here recently.  

I didn’t feel the Os would be able to develop Manny.  Thought he was the better talent but questioned the team. 

Yeah, that's your explanation.   Guess you were WAY WRONG on that one.    Thought he was better than Christan Colon.   Yeah, maybe a little.

Owning it would be saying I made a COLLOSAL misjudgement!     

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Sure…but we don’t even know what we have in him yet.  Maybe he would have been a bust. (I don’t think so but just saying)

We know what Hall can do.  I happen to agree that his ceiling is probably higher than GRod but I also don’t like his chances of reaching his ceiling compared to Grayson reaching his.  

I also think his floor is lower.  His risk profile is higher.  

But if he can get healthy and he can keep improving his command and control, he changes a lot for me.

Agree completely. If Hall comes out heathy and firing, the one guy makes the whole system seem deeper and more dangerous.

Edited by IPlayGM
Spelling

12 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

Agree completely. If Hall comes out heathy and firing, the one guy makes the whole system seem deeper and more dangerous.

If Kjerstad comes back healthy and makes a major impact, it will dramatically impact/improve the system.  It'll be like adding two 1st Round draft picks to next years mid-year prospect rankings.  

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Oh and btw, I have owned the Colon/Manny stuff a lot, even on here recently.  

I didn’t feel the Os would be able to develop Manny.  Thought he was the better talent but questioned the team. 

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Yeah, that's your explanation.   Guess you were WAY WRONG on that one.    Thought he was better than Christan Colon.   Yeah, maybe a little.

Owning it would be saying I made a COLLOSAL misjudgement!     

You two need to take this offline. Stop the back and forth and name calling. You are both better than this.

57 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

If Kjerstad comes back healthy and makes a major impact, it will dramatically impact/improve the system.  It'll be like adding two 1st Round draft picks to next years mid-year prospect rankings.  

I hope Grayson starts 30 games next year and about 25 of them are in the Show, but it isn't inconceivable with a ball adjustment snag or an injury, he ends 2022 under 50 MLB innings.    Kjerstad 2022 will be like Mancini 2021 - playing at all will be its own success.

A next offseason list still with both high school pitchers, Kjerstad returned, Cowser developed and Green backfilling Rutschman I suppose isn't impossible.