Should we have kept Brocail?

Sports Guy

57 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Please quantify the term master for me (in this context).

Unless you can, I would like you to stop using it.

Mastering a level no doubt means different things to different people but I don't think many would say that Kremer, Lowther or Akins mastered AAA to this point.

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I did not use the term but how about ERA under 4 for at least half a season.

ERA is dependent on outside factors like team defense.  Is the defense at Norfolk a good reason to not promote someone?

It's a nebulous term that he can hide behind.

Has Grayson not mastered his current level?

Just now, wildcard said:

Mastering a level no doubt means different things to different people but I don't think many would say that Kremer, Lowther or Akins mastered AAA to this point.

It's a ridiculous requirement.

They are on the 40 man roster and the ML club needs innings.

How are you going to fill those innings with those three eating up 40 man slots?

Once you are on the 40 you need to step up or move out.

I've posted this elsewhere, but I think it deserves to be part of the conversation.

A month or two ago, Bill James was asked on the "Hey, Bill" portion of his website why teams like the Rockies can't seem to develop successful starting pitchers, even if you correct for the high-scoring environment of their home field. James theorized that, in order to throw strikes and challenge hitters, young pitchers need to develop confidence in their ability to get them out.

Most guys who get to the majors have been highly successful at every level, and that success usually includes an ability to throw the ball over the plate with enough command to avoid hitters' hot zones. Then those guys come up to, say, the Orioles, and big-leaguers start hitting fly balls off them that come down in the bullpen instead of in an outfielder's glove. After that happens a few times, they stop challenging hitters and start getting behind in counts. Then they start working the middle of the plate, and the results get on the other team's highlight film.

I don't know whether there's anything to this theory or not, but it would help explain why so many of our guys who've been successful at AA and/or AAA lose both control and command when they get to the Orioles. If the difficulty of developing and maintaining confidence in a hitter-friendly park is part of the problem, it would seem that coaching directed explicitly at it might help.

A better solution would be to expand the playing field at Camden Yards to make it a neutral ballpark. Just need to find a new owner who's ready and willing to pay for that.

3 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I've posted this elsewhere, but I think it deserves to be part of the conversation.

A month or two ago, Bill James was asked on the "Hey, Bill" portion of his website why teams like the Rockies can't seem to develop successful starting pitchers, even if you correct for the high-scoring environment of their home field. James theorized that, in order to throw strikes and challenge hitters, young pitchers need to develop confidence in their ability to get them out.

Most guys who get to the majors have been highly successful at every level, and that success usually includes an ability to throw the ball over the plate with enough command to avoid hitters' hot zones. Then those guys come up to, say, the Orioles, and big-leaguers start hitting fly balls off them that come down in the bullpen instead of in an outfielder's glove. After that happens a few times, they stop challenging hitters and start getting behind in counts. Then they start working the middle of the plate, and the results get on the other team's highlight film.

I don't know whether there's anything to this theory or not, but it would help explain why so many of our guys who've been successful at AA and/or AAA lose both control and command when they get to the Orioles. If the difficulty of developing and maintaining confidence in a hitter-friendly park is part of the problem, it would seem that coaching directed explicitly at it might help.

A better solution would be to expand the playing field at Camden Yards to make it a neutral ballpark. Just need to find a new owner who's ready and willing to pay for that.

I'm checking the Statcast park factors and the three year rolling chart has OPACY ranging from 103-105.

The ballpark isn't the problem.

Yes it's a hitter's park.  It isn't an extreme hitter's park.

55 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's a ridiculous requirement.

They are on the 40 man roster and the ML club needs innings.

How are you going to fill those innings with those three eating up 40 man slots?

Once you are on the 40 you need to step up or move out.

57 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You don’t have to “master” any level.  You would never bring up a player with that attitude.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm checking the Statcast park factors and the three year rolling chart has OPACY ranging from 103-105.

The ballpark isn't the problem.

Yes it's a hitter's park.  It isn't an extreme hitter's park.

Statcast has OPACY at 123 for HRs (tied for third in MLB) and 108 for runs. I'd say it's an extreme hitter's park in homer-friendliness. 

6 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Statcast has OPACY at 123 for HRs (tied for third in MLB) and 108 for runs. I'd say it's an extreme hitter's park in homer-friendliness. 

And?

It's an excuse, just like blaming the AL East is an excuse.  The other team has to pitch there as well.

Yes, OPACY is more conducive to home runs.

You think you push the walls back all of a sudden the O's pitchers will give up less runs and the opposition won't?

47 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And?

It's an excuse, just like blaming the AL East is an excuse.  The other team has to pitch there as well.

Yes, OPACY is more conducive to home runs.

You think you push the walls back all of a sudden the O's pitchers will give up less runs and the opposition won't?

That's not the point. The theory is that it's important for young pitchers to develop confidence, and there are some talented guys who won't build that confidence because they'll give up more, and cheaper, HRs and runs in a park where those things come more easily to hitters. 

50 minutes ago, wildcard said:

A player can master AA and still have things to work at AAA.  Adley showed he can hit at AA.

Well first of all, he didn’t master hitting at the position he will play.

Secondly, the idea that you are using the best prospect in the sport, playing a league that was below him is hilarious and shows how ridiculous your standard is.