Only Goal - Get 43 wins

Chelsea_Phil

14 hours ago, waroriole said:

Cedric Mullins is the only good thing to come out of this year. I don’t care if they win another game. This is by far the worst team I’ve ever seen. 

10 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Mountcastle too, IMO.

1 hour ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

I suppose Mancini is another good thing, and Mountcastle as of late. 

Mateo could end up being a nice surprise down the stretch. Imagine Mullins and Mateo at the top of the order next year if Mateo keeps things up. 

1 hour ago, orioles119 said:

You don't remember 4-32?

That was brutal... but I also remember 1986. The O's beat Toronto on Aug 5th to pull within 2.5 games of the Red Sox at 59-47. They were surging and everyone thought Orioles Magic would lead to another pennant chase. Then the O's lost a weird game in Texas 13-11, which started a brutal 14-42 stretch that took them from 2.5 games out in second place to 22.5 games out in 7th place at 73-89.  

That was a collapse or the ages.

10 hours ago, Maverick Hiker said:

It's a collapse because the Orioles were not historically bad until August.  Now they are losing each and every game by wide margins and if they had played this way all year MLB would have to take action. 

Yeah, this doesn't make sense.  MLB doesn't "take action" because a team is doing terrible.  

You can be bad, you can also be historically bad.  There's not a huge difference between winning 49 games and 55 games, that's about 1 win extra per month.  I guess being "historically bad" is embarrassing but whatever.  If the goal is the #1 overall pick and to further build the system, that's what matters most.

I know the Orioles have had some very bad streaks but I don't recall them going through a stretch where they were losing games by such wide margins.  Well against the Braves this weekend  they have been closer  but for most of August there were no one run games just one "leave early" game after another.  

On 8/20/2021 at 11:21 PM, Maverick Hiker said:

It's a collapse because the Orioles were not historically bad until August.  Now they are losing each and every game by wide margins and if they had played this way all year MLB would have to take action. 

The worst thing is the #1 team beating the O's brains in is the Rays, so the O's can't even use "they are buying a championship" mantra. 

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The worst thing is the #1 team beating the O's brains in is the Rays, so the O's can't even use "they are buying a championship" mantra. 

Yes I used to hate losing to the Yankees but losing to the Rays is even worse.  I know I should be for the small market teams but the Rays are so boring and unlikeable to me I wouldn't care if the Yankees or Red Sox  beat them for the AL East title. 

It struck me that a clubhouse meeting, led either by the players or Hyde, is due. But the common theme of such meetings--that "We know we're better than this! Let's go out and play our game as we know how and win!"--is unavailable to the Orioles. Whoever uttered it would immediately lose credibility. The team can't believe in itself because the people up top don't believe in it. The only thing they can point to, as far as I can see, is the 9-6 stretch immediately after the ASB, but that was against teams a lot weaker than the ones coming up on the schedule.

All kidding aside, I believe this team will eclipse 43 wins.  We have 8 more games against the Royals and Rangers and the last series against Boston may see the Sox resting players.  The O’s played better (but not good enough) against the Braves and we’re at least competitive for 3 straight games.  The better question is will they eclipse the 47 wins from the ‘18 edition of crappy O’s teams.

On 8/21/2021 at 9:06 AM, Jagwar said:

That was brutal... but I also remember 1986. The O's beat Toronto on Aug 5th to pull within 2.5 games of the Red Sox at 59-47. They were surging and everyone thought Orioles Magic would lead to another pennant chase. Then the O's lost a weird game in Texas 13-11, which started a brutal 14-42 stretch that took them from 2.5 games out in second place to 22.5 games out in 7th place at 73-89.  

That was a collapse or the ages.

That was around the time I got interested in baseball and the Orioles.  That year ended an 18-year stretch of winning seasons.  I do remember getting within 2.5 games of first and also I think I was supposed to go to the Texas game you're referring to, but it was raining so my Dad decided to pick another game for us to go to late in the season.