Elias offseason

fitzi22

25 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

With 6 former all star shortstops being free agents and no prospects near ready it would be dereliction for the Orioles to not get one of them.

The Orioles need to exploit supply and demand dynamics in free agency if they are going to ever build a real team.

I think ownership needs to send a signal whether they are trying to follow Cardinals/Braves level of spending or outcheap the Rays.  I have no trust in the current ownership.  As other posters have said, outside of the O's in the World Series, the best news I could get would be the O's being sold.  The only halfway dependable starter the O's have is Means and he has looked more and more pedestrian lately.  Even if GrayRod is great from his callup next year, that's only 2 starters. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Your schtick is so old, man.   3 drafts and trades for guys who hadn't played a game yet in the minors.  One lost year to Covid for most minor leaguers.    Did you think Cedric Mullins was a future piece at this time last year?    Maybe Hays breaks out next year.  Maybe McKenna comes up and makes a name.  I know we are putting a lot of depth together in the minors.   We are starting to see good potential future pieces at Norfolk and Bowie with more pieces behind them.     Keep on with the dead horse.   You can't help it and the horse doesn't care.     Did Mike Elias kick your dog?

My big concern actually relates to the way the minor leagues were handled by the Orioles early on (I don’t think it’s still going right now.)

Middle infield prospects, which is one of the many gaps in the MLB team, have been shuffled around. Instead of letting a player learn and develop at shortstop, third, or second, they are going all the over the dirt and, at times, the outfield grass. To me, that doesn’t help development much. That and the large amount of outfielders drafted. What’s the plan? Start putting them in the stands?

Elias drafted Rutschman. That’s the best pick he has made. It was the no brainer one. Have some other picks looked good? So far, yes. But how many other draft picks have looked good during a season and then totally crapped out? 

The Calvary may be coming, but let’s hope their horses make it over the hills first. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

My big concern actually relates to the way the minor leagues were handled by the Orioles early on (I don’t think it’s still going right now.)

Middle infield prospects, which is one of the many gaps in the MLB team, have been shuffled around. Instead of letting a player learn and develop at shortstop, third, or second, they are going all the over the dirt and, at times, the outfield grass. To me, that doesn’t help development much. That and the large amount of outfielders drafted. What’s the plan? Start putting them in the stands?

Elias drafted Rutschman. That’s the best pick he has made. It was the no brainer one. Have some other picks looked good? So far, yes. But how many other draft picks have looked good during a season and then totally crapped out? 

The Calvary may be coming, but let’s hope their horses make it over the hills first. 

Time will tell but it does take time for drafts to evolve.  Early on, it looks like almost all of his top 5 round guys all still hold prospect status.  The Lati American program will take even longer to bare fruit.  If you want to be positive you can find a lot to be hopeful about. If you want to be negative that's a pretty easy gig for now.

Also, I have no idea if having guys like Henderson, Orriz, and Westburg play 2 positions is good or bad.  I'm sure there are arguments for both.  As for all of the outfielders drafted this year I don't have the answer.  Almost everyone says you don't draft based on positional need but when the draft actually comes, many suggest exactly that.  So few of the later picks usually make it so I'm just happy if Trimble or Watson, or Stowers, or Rhodes turn into something.  We drafted a lot of middle IF with Westburg,  Ortiz, Servideo, two years ago and they acquired Latin players Deleon and Victor Gonzalez, and then signed Maikol Hernandez.  I'm assuming the plan is to grow as many good players as possible.  The drafting of so many outfielders may look stupid or brilliant 3 years from now.  I don't know. You don't know. No one really knows.  But it's easy to just constantly be skeptical, cynical, and negative while we wait to find out.  

16 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Your schtick is so old, man.   3 drafts and trades for guys who hadn't played a game yet in the minors.  One lost year to Covid for most minor leaguers.    Did you think Cedric Mullins was a future piece at this time last year?    Maybe Hays breaks out next year.  Maybe McKenna comes up and makes a name.  I know we are putting a lot of depth together in the minors.   We are starting to see good potential future pieces at Norfolk and Bowie with more pieces behind them.     Keep on with the dead horse.   You can't help it and the horse doesn't care.     Did Mike Elias kick your dog?

So, your defense to him is that extremely rare and odd things like Mullins becoming good out of the blue is something that could happen?  

Your defense is that maybe Hays all of a sudden stays healthy, hits righties way better and becomes a piece and that is supposed to be something we should consider?

Why not consider that Lopez harnesses his stuff and becomes a CY winner?  Maybe Scott flips the switch and becomes Andrew Miller in his prime? 

I mean seriously?  Of all the things you could say, this is your argument and you are complaining about his schtick being old?  Lol. 

He is right that for right now, we essentially have Mullins, Means and Mountcastle.  That’s it.   No one else on the roster is tough to replace.  We literally could cut every single other player on the roster and replace them within a few days.  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

So, your defense to him is that extremely rare and odd things like Mullins becoming good out of the blue is something that could happen?  

Your defense is that maybe Hays all of a sudden stays healthy, hits righties way better and becomes a piece and that is supposed to be something we should consider?

Why not consider that Lopez harnesses his stuff and becomes a CY winner?  Maybe Scott flips the switch and becomes Andrew Miller in his prime? 

I mean seriously?  Of all the things you could say, this is your argument and you are complaining about his schtick being old?  Lol. 

He is right that for right now, we essentially have Mullins, Means and Mountcastle.  That’s it.   No one else on the roster is tough to replace.  We literally could cut every single other player on the roster and replace them within a few days.  

Now who's the one who can't read, Branch Dickey?  Elias had nothing of great value to trade. When he did trade he picked up pieces that were 2-5 years away from the major leagues. He's had 3 drafts.  The first one contained the one guy expected to reach the majors first and he's not there yet so to expect any of the others to be on the 26 man roster and be nuggets is moronic.  He has FAILED to get a waiver claim who is a solid ML regular or all-star player.  Got me!!   

In the meantime,  the minor league system keeps getting better and deeper with each draft, and his first Latin signs, like Acevedo, will be hitting Delmarva next year.  But he also picked up guys like Pinto, Deson, Deleon, and Victor Gonzalez.  Guys who won't help for a long time, if ever.  You need to look at the big picture but you have wannabe GM tunnel vision.  We all know you could do better.  You're a legend in your own mind.  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Now who's the one who can't read, Branch Dickey?  Elias had nothing of great value to trade. When he did trade he picked up pieces that were 2-5 years away from the major leagues. He's had 3 drafts.  The first one contained the one guy expected to reach the majors first and he's not there yet so to expect any of the others to be on the 26 man roster and be nuggets is moronic.  He has FAILED to get a waiver claim who is a solid ML regular or all-star player.  Got me!!   

In the meantime,  the minor league system keeps getting better and deeper with each draft, and his first Latin signs, like Acevedo, will be hitting Delmarva next year.  But he also picked up guys like Pinto, Deson, Deleon, and Victor Gonzalez.  Guys who won't help for a long time, if ever.  You need to look at the big picture but you have wannabe GM tunnel vision.  We all know you could do better.  You're a legend in your own mind.  

To act like he couldn’t have had us in a better place, at the ML level, both with talent and development is the definition of stupidity.  He has chosen not to make the Ml team better.  It’s essentially what he has said.  

He has identified the wrong players to bring in.  His lauded development skills have failed in AAA and the majors, especially with pitching.  

I guess I’m giving you too much credit for not being some fanboy who thinks the team does no wrong.  I guess I expected more from you than to be cindyloveselias.  

He has done some wonderful things and I’m glad he is here but he has done nothing to advance the ML team and while that’s not all his fault, he deserves a lot of blame too.

You do not have to ignore the ML team to build up the minors.  

Yes, he could have put a 70-75 team together with a 20M or 40M and your expertise. 

Funny, you are accusing them of being able to develop pitching or ML moves but you are "glad he's here".  You must really love his drafts, trades, and Latin American program, right?

Also, who developed Akin and Kremer the previous two years which enabled them to come to the majors and have success last year?