This is one of the worst teams I’ve seen at turning double plays

Frobby

I suppose it’s not surprising for a team that has started 7 different 2B and 5 different SS, but this is one of the worst Orioles teams I’ve seen at turning the DP.   They are 29th in MLB with 91 DP’s, and Fangraphs ranks them 25th in DPR, which is their measure of DP efficiency.  They are 30th in the percentage of DP situations converted into DP’s, at 7%.

I feel like almost nightly, there is some DP opportunity where the runner at 1B is safe by a close margin, where either there is either a slight delay in the initial throw, a slight hiccup on the relay transfer or a pivot throw that just isn’t strong enough.   Last night there were two, one on a slight delay by Gutierrez in making the initial throw, the second on an awkward toss by Martin to Valaika on a ball up the middle.   (In fairness, Gutierrez also started one nice DP.)

Part of this is just lack of time playing together, part is that these guys just aren’t very good.   But it’s playing out on a nightly basis.  

I miss the Manny/Hardy/Schoop days.  A lot.  

• Upvote 2

During the first ranger oriole game, the Texas radio guy commented on a play that could have been a DP But they only got the lead runner, because Pat Valaika Made a lazy throw to second, and whoever caught the ball for the force made a lazy feed to first. A similar play happened in that same inning or in the next, and the radio guy pointed out that although they weren't errors,”…the Orioles Defense has given the Rangers several extra outs.” 
That’s just part of the reason why this isn’t a good team. They just aren’t good players.

Pat Valaika has his million+ bucks, his pension and his insurance. Time to send him away, and several more guys after him.

Edited by Philip

So...Galvis or Iglesias?   I imagine both would like to be everyday SS again to open next season.

And oooh...what about beer and tacos?

Neither Jones nor Vavra has positioned themselves for early 2B reps in 2022 like I hoped they might this year.

I think I like 3B for Urias in hopes of keeping his body a little fresher to see if the bat can get past 300 PA.

Assuming based on Rob's whispers, 2022 OD payroll is more like $35M than $70M, though today of course no one knows precise revenue sharing, etc. type terms.

7 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Assuming based on Rob's whispers, 2022 OD payroll is more like $35M than $70M, though today of course no one knows precise revenue sharing, etc. type terms.

“Rob’s Whispers” would be a great name for a website. Until then, who is Rob?“

Edited by Philip

2 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

So...Galvis or Iglesias?   I imagine both would like to be everyday SS again to open next season.

And oooh...what about beer and tacos?

Neither Jones nor Vavra has positioned themselves for early 2B reps in 2022 like I hoped they might this year.

I think I like 3B for Urias in hopes of keeping his body a little fresher to see if the bat can get past 300 PA.

I have no more information than anyone else (and less than many), but I think Urias starts spring training as the presumptive second baseman, with cheap free agents signed to man the left side and Valaika and Martin competing for roles as back-ups/injury replacements. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Philip said:

Pat Valaika has his million+ bucks, his pension and his insurance. Time to send him away, and several more guys after him.

Well, yeah, that's the point of replacement level roster fillers during a rebuild.  They are cheap options to play for the team, so that you don't spend a bunch of money for marginally better results when you're not trying to win.  When it's time to start shifting into win mode, you send them packing in order to employ better players.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Well, yeah, that's the point of replacement level roster fillers during a rebuild.  They are cheap options to play for the team, so that you don't spend a bunch of money for marginally better results when you're not trying to win.  When it's time to start shifting into win mode, you send them packing in order to employ better players.

Sure, I’m fully aware of the situation. As I said at the end of my comment, it is my hope that lots and lots of guys will be given their walking papers in the next six weeks or so. 

4 hours ago, Philip said:

During the first ranger oriole game, the Texas radio guy commented on a play that could have been a DP.....A similar play happened in that same inning or in the next, and the radio guy pointed out that although they weren't errors,”…the Orioles Defense has given the Rangers several extra outs.” 

The Rangers radio broadcast team do a very good job. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

That combo was such a consistent machine. Schoop got a ton of extra double plays with that arm.

I wonder how close Gunnar, Westburg and Mayo can get. Scouting reports have Gunnar with a 60 arm, Westburg with 55, Mayo with 70.

I think the arms will be fine.  Just a matter of whether they can be sure handed and have the range.   

On 9/25/2021 at 10:28 AM, Frobby said:

I suppose it’s not surprising for a team that has started 7 different 2B and 5 different SS, but this is one of the worst Orioles teams I’ve seen at turning the DP.   They are 29th in MLB with 91 DP’s, and Fangraphs ranks them 25th in DPR, which is their measure of DP efficiency.  They are 30th in the percentage of DP situations converted into DP’s, at 7%.

I feel like almost nightly, there is some DP opportunity where the runner at 1B is safe by a close margin, where either there is either a slight delay in the initial throw, a slight hiccup on the relay transfer or a pivot throw that just isn’t strong enough.   Last night there were two, one on a slight delay by Gutierrez in making the initial throw, the second on an awkward toss by Martin to Valaika on a ball up the middle.   (In fairness, Gutierrez also started one nice DP.)

Part of this is just lack of time playing together, part is that these guys just aren’t very good.   But it’s playing out on a nightly basis.  

I miss the Manny/Hardy/Schoop days.  A lot.  

I wanted to sign Schoop before his big bounce back  year, loved him! 

Yeah, dreadful team to watch. In a year so laughably painful, lots of good storylines surprisingly: Mullins, Means, Mancini and frankly Mateo. The M’s! Only if McKenna could get hot!