Payroll expectation for 2022

Sports Guy

2022 Payroll  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What range do you expect the 2022 payroll to be in?

• 40 million or less
    • 41-50 million
    • 51-60 million
    • 61-70 million
    • 70+ million

On 10/6/2021 at 9:08 AM, Sports Guy said:

For the  2021 season, according to Cots, the Orioles payroll was 57M.  A large chunk of that payroll was Chris Davis.  We also paid 10M to the Angels in the Cobb deal.

With the Cobb deal off the books and the Davis deal cut in half for 2022, we obviously won’t have those issues to deal with.  

On top of that, we have no other guaranteed money on the books for 2022 unless there are some deferred payments (Cobb? ODay?) happening in 2022 that Cots isn’t showing.

I did an exercise the other day where we have about 14-16 guys guaranteed to be on the team and only a few are in their arb 1 seasons..everyone else is pre arb.   Those salaries would be under 15M for those 14-16 guys (I had 14 definites and then Akin and Zimmermann were maybes).

I didn’t include Mancini or Santander as “guarantees”.

So, where do you expect to see the payroll go?  Higher?  Lose?  Same area?

I expect the same cheap patheticness that we get most years.  Dumpster diving and the like. 

1 minute ago, Yardball85 said:

Would be great to make a serious run at Stroman and one of the SS.  Players who are still young and would be a big part of a contending team.  Not expecting it though. 

I would be good with that plan too on free agency, but I'm not expecting the Orioles to go after any players of that caliber. It will be more AAAA players and reclamation projects. 

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I would be good with that plan too on free agency, but I'm not expecting the Orioles to go after any players of that caliber. It will be more AAAA players and reclamation projects. 

Agreed.  It's too bad, because they most likely cannot build a team made entirely of homegrown players. If good players are available, you need to add them while working to stock the home grown talent. Payroll is low enough with the prospects coming up that you can afford, hopefully, some more expensive good players. 

1 minute ago, Yardball85 said:

Agreed.  It's too bad, because they most likely cannot build a team made entirely of homegrown players. If good players are available, you need to add them while working to stock the home grown talent. Payroll is low enough with the prospects coming up that you can afford, hopefully, some more expensive good players. 

At some point if this is going to be a serious rebuild the Orioles are going to have to expand payroll and bring in players outside the organization, but we all know it depends on ownership. With Rutschman and Rodriguez being on the cusp of joining the team, now would be a good time to supplement with veteran talent outside the organization. 

It might be a year too early to compete, but like you stated homegrown talent isn't going to be enough to get the Orioles over the hump. Especially playing in the AL East. 

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

now would be a good time to supplement with veteran talent outside the organization. 

It might be a year too early to compete, but like you stated homegrown talent isn't going to be enough to get the Orioles over the hump. Especially playing in the AL East. 

Agreed. If a good player is available that fits need, and their market price is within operational budget, the Orioles should absolutely make a competitive offer. 

Voted a little above 2021 range, 61-70. They have to do something about pitching (right?) but I think they will have a hard time luring decent free agents to Baltimore until the current and future core show we may have something to augment. Let's hope we have a free agent season and regular season to critique! 

On 10/6/2021 at 9:59 AM, oriole said:

I don’t care if I’m crazy but I’m voting for what I want them to do, not what they should or will do. Get some free agent pitchers and capitalize on this insane SS market and this team isn’t all  that bad. I’m the lone 70+ million vote so far lol 

And me. Of course, I voted on the basis of what I wanted. Projecting otherwise lends itself to the inevitable discussion into what they “won’t spend”.

There’s an opportunity to upgrade the current roster by adding talent. Do it, let’s go.

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Bah, I’m keeping an open mind. Unlike some here (and their perspective is understandable), I think Elias has done his job capably, but it’s time to step it up. 

2 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

And me. Of course, I voted on the basis of what I wanted. Projecting otherwise lends itself to the inevitable discussion into what they “won’t spend”.

There’s an opportunity to upgrade the current roster by adding talent. Do it, let’s go.

Nice to know I’m not the only one! Haha

Really though…they could have a modest payroll and sign some free agents. I’m aware it’s gonna be another year hardcore tanking before wins and losses start to matter but honestly, if you sign a game changing talent like Correa to a 7 or 8 year deal then even after 2 more years of rebuilding you’d still have 5 or 6 years of Correa at a prime age. Plus it’s a signal to the fans and rest of the organization that there’s an upswing in the whole “lose as many games as possible” approach. Really…how many years with a top 5 draft pick in a row do you need to consider it a worthy rebuild?

also, here’s my necessary acknowledgement that it’s not happening and we have at least two more years of extreme tanking left before anyone thinks to actually put a MLB caliber team together 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I think there’s zero chance of that.   Both sides have too much to lose.   

I think the odds are very slim but not zero.  Players are supposedly gunning hard for changes this time after their weak showing last time.

I do think odds are better now than they were before Covid since both sides have been dealing with revenue loss.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the odds are very slim but not zero.  Players are supposedly gunning hard for changes this time after their weak showing last time.

I do think odds are better now than they were before Covid since both sides have been dealing with revenue loss.

25 to 1?