Orioles re-sign 3 MiLB Free Agents

Legend_Of_Joey

17 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Ripken, as far as I know, throws lefthanded so SS and 3B are out.  His career OPS in the minors is under .600.   It's tough to regain your footing if you've never had it.   Yes, he briefly put up some semi-respectable numbers in 2019 but he's a complete non-prospect.   I'm not sure what the endgame is.   Maybe he wants to get into coaching and is just getting as much player experience as possible.   I'm not sure, besides nepotism, is in it for the Orioles.   This is about as far as nepotism has ever gotten a player with credentials as dubious as Ryan Ripken's.

Along with having to weigh...how did he phrase it, the long term probability of sustaining playoff qualification for the club (the serenity prayer for GM's), Elias I guess also has to weigh the long term probability of the Ownership Group wanting him.

I feel Ripken Baseball's participation in a group will be a shiny bauble to have as part of your bid if the Orioles ever get on the market, and repeating AAA in 2022 is probably up to Ryan, maybe with some fatherly advice.    My only wonder is if Cal's trying to get his Wall Street ducks in a row for even a bigger slice of the pie than Jeter's.    They fired his father, don't mess with his son.

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2018/08/07/ripken-baseball-receives-significant-minority.html

On 10/9/2021 at 6:31 AM, ChosenOne21 said:

I agree with all that. It's just puzzling to me that if a team liked a guy, they wouldn't try to sign him when he's freely available in favor of waiting for the Rule V so they can have the privilege of paying an extra $50,000 for him and having to keep them on the MLB roster all year.

I think I posted a while back saying I thought a team might take a chance on Peralta in the Rule V, but that was before I knew he'd be a minor league free agent at year's end

A team may not think he's worth a 40 man right now, but after they look at their roster they could try and take him in the rule 5 draft since it's only a $50k gamble to take a look at a guy who might be ok in relief role. 

Saying that, my guess is he won't be protected and he won't be taken.

18 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If Ripken gets picked up by the Giants and becomes an All Star, the Ripken crying threads will outnumber the Yaz threads 10:1.

Literally there is just as much chance of you or I becoming a major league all-star player as there is for Ryan Ripken to become one. 

On 10/7/2021 at 5:23 PM, waynebug said:

I'm sure Peralta must be protected in the Rule 5 Draft.  He signed in 2013 and he's at least 25.

Not only our they subject to the MLB portion of the Rule 5 draft but also to the milb portion if they aren’t on the AAA roster. Peralta is safe from the milb portion. I believe Vespi was added late. So only Cespedes could be taken for nothing and placed at any level. I remember that is how we acquired him and when we did, he had some of the highest exit velos in the minors. 

On 10/9/2021 at 7:45 PM, OriolesMagic83 said:

If Ripken gets picked up by the Giants and becomes an All Star, the Ripken crying threads will outnumber the Yaz threads 10:1.

No way. There were a number of posters advocating for the Orioles to give Yaz a chance in Baltimore. No one is proposing that the Orioles should promote Ripken to Baltimore. Definitely apples and oranges. 

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

Really?  Not that I remember.  

Oh yeah. Search back through some of the old Yaz threads and you will find them. Nobody was saying he was going to be a hall of famer, but there were posters who thought he would be a fourth outfielder or even a regular. Nobody believes that about Ryan. 

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

There were a few. And sure, it would have been nice to have him be successful with the Orioles, but he’s come back to the pack.

I'm not criticizing the Orioles handling of Yaz, by the way. I was replying to a specific post about how the board would react if there was a Ryan Ripken miracle versus Yaz's success. 

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

One is a number.   wildcard was a supporter, but it’s not like he was envisioning Yaz as more than a guy with a chance to be a fourth OF.

I thought he deserved a chance.   It would have been up to him what he made of it.  And he did with SF.