Tyler Wells is the closer?

Sports Guy

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Do  you think they know what they are going to do with Mike Baumann?    Is he a starter or a two pitch reliever?    Tyler may have more quality pitches than Baumann. That's one of the reasons I think they sort it out in the spring.

Both got through this season. That's a big step. Now they can work on strength and conditioning and prepare normally (and strategically) for the season. I think you find the role these guys can have success with and you build onto it over time.

I still think they're both a full healthy season away from taking off the kid gloves and let them really push things. 

5 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Both got through this season. That's a big step. Now they can work on strength and conditioning and prepare normally (and strategically) for the season. I think you find the role these guys can have success with and you build onto it over time.

I still think they're both a full healthy season away from taking off the kid gloves and let them really push things. 

For me its pitch development and the fact the O's need starters.    Whoever shows up to camp healthy and has command of of three pitches has a chance to be in the rotation.   That includes Tyler, Baumann, Akin, Ellis, Zimmermann, Bradish and Alex Wells compete for the 4th and 5th starter.    Means has a spot.  Grayson will be the best starter in camp but they may give him a month at AAA before bringing him up.  I think they will add a FA starter. 

Whoever doesn't make it will compete for the pen or go to AAA to be the next man up.

36 minutes ago, interloper said:

Madness to take him out of a role he excels in. 

Well, its not very hard to take him from a starter and put him back in the pen.

However, they may not want to jerk him back and forth because of his injury history.  Its a totally different way of preparing your arm and throwing when you go in short stints vs being a starter.

39 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Instead of "closer" what about just designating Wells has a high leverage situation bullpen arm. The Orioles worrying about a designated closer is the equivalent of a high school kid working minimum wage hiring a personal chef. 

Even on a good team it doesn’t make sense. Having a guy who can excel in high leverage situations is more valuable to a team.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Even on a good team it doesn’t make sense. Having a guy who can excel in high leverage situations is more valuable to a team.

I really think this will be the future of MLB bullpens. Why waste your best reliever waiting for the ninth inning if there is seventh inning rally that you need to kill to hold a lead. 

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I really think this will be the future of MLB bullpens. Why waste your best reliever waiting for the ninth inning if there is seventh inning rally that you need to kill to hold a lead. 

I've always thought this myself. But I guess the downside would be you might end up warming him up much more often than the other way not knowing what rallies turn into legitimate needs for your best reliever and which ones end up getting snuffed out while he is warming up.