2021 Orioles #6 Prospect - Gunnar Henderson - SS/3B

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

Overall, I think this was generally a very positive review.  The best news is that in many previous years, Gunnar would have been our #1 or #2 (at worst) prospect.  I'm excited to have him in our system.  And, the next group in that #7-#12 range will likely be a very interesting group, as well.   

On a semi-related note, it's a real shame that some of the pitching (i.e., Akin, A. Wells, Kremer, Baumann, and Lowther) didn't take a step forward this season and that Zimmerman was injured.  If just one of those guys could become a solid #4 or #5, to go with Means, Rodriguez and a major league free agent starter (not another project signed to a minor league deal - although I'm sure we'll sign one or two of those, as well), it would be big for next year.

Baumann, Zimmermann, Bradish and  A Well did take steps forward in 2021.  Kremer and Lowther took steps back.  Akin is kind in idle.  Add Ellis and T Wells and there are a bunch of guys competing for a 4th and 5th starters in the spring.   Means, Grayson and Elias has to find a #3.

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

Baumann, Zimmermann, Bradish and  A Well did take steps forward in 2021.  Kremer and Lowther took steps back.  Akin is kind in idle.  Add Ellis and T Wells and there are a bunch of guys competing for a 4th and 5th starters in the spring.   Means, Grayson and Elias has to find a #3.

Bradish is really the first on of Elias’ guys to be in the MLB conversation. I’m down on our ability to, or the ability of these pitchers to develop into mlb level pitchers. 

Wells took a step forward?

He put up a 6.75 ERA.

I'm interested in understanding how you think Alex Wells took a step forward this year but Lowther back?

13 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I was wondering how Baumann took a step forward myself.

After a slow start Baumann advanced (literally) to Norfolk and did well enough to earn promotion to MLB. Not sure about Wells. I know wildcard believes in trendlines from small sample sizes and his last start was good?

15 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm interested in understanding how you think Alex Wells took a step forward this year but Lowther back?

Alex  Wells in 2019 went 8-6,  2.95 ERA, 1.070 WHIP at AA in 2019.

He did not pitch in 2020 because the minor league shut down.

In 2021 went 6-3, 3.29 ERA , 1.024 WHIP at AAA.   

That is improvement.   He didn't do well in the majors but that was two levels in one season for a finesse pitcher.   He still has to prove he can pitch in the majors but his success at AAA showed improvement.

In 2019 Baumann pitched at A+ and AA going 7-6 2.98 ERA, 1.048 WHIP.

Buamann was recovering in 2021 from an arm injury in 2020 at the Alternate Site.

During the recovery in 2021 he posted  a  12.27 ERA, 2.18 WHIP in May at Low A and AA.

In June he had a 7.62 ERA, 1.69 WHIP at AA which showed he was still recovering.

In July he had a 2.05 ERA , 0.77 WHIP at AA and AAA which was better than he did at AA in 2019.

In August  he  has a 1.64 ERA ,1.23 WHIP at AAA.

He pitched in 4 games in relief with the O's in Sept and did not do well.

But as far as year over year improvement he showed that in July and August in AA and AAA.

• 2 months later...
On 11/1/2021 at 9:21 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Wells took a step forward?

He put up a 6.75 ERA.

He hadn't pitched in AAA before and actually put up good numbers there.  Then he got lit up in the majors but one could certainly argue that he progressed.   Does one have to have ML success to have shown progress?

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He hadn't pitched in AAA before and actually put up good numbers there.  Then he got lit up in the majors but one could certainly argue that he progressed.   Does one have to have ML success to have shown progress?

I guess if you want to say he progressed in his career as a minor league ballplayer you'd be right.

?

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I guess if you want to say he progressed in his career as a minor league ballplayer you'd be right.

?

Progressing as a minor league player is part of the process of becoming a ML player and, hopefully, eventually succeeding at that level.  Taking lumps at the ML level is part of it as well.  He made a one level progression with success.  If you want to be snide and suggest that he only made progress as a minor league player I can't stop you from doing your thing that you do so well.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Progressing as a minor league player is part of the process of becoming a ML player and, hopefully, eventually succeeding at that level.  Taking lumps at the ML level is part of it as well.  He made a one level progression with success.  If you want to be snide and suggest that he only made progress as a minor league player I can't stop you from doing your thing that you do so well.

Dude, it's a joke.

I even added the emoticon for the humor challenged.

Of course any chance you get to attack me....