The Biggest Fallacy: We Need a 1B or DH

Anonymous

Well, I’m revising my assertion that needing a 1B or DH is the biggest fallacy. Returning to the board 7 pages and 7+ hours after the OP to see what became of it, I see that the truly biggest fallacy is that people actually read and process and respond to what other posters have written.

Anyway, plaudits to the only two who seem to have done that: sangar and Baltimoron.

So the conversation strayed? What's the big deal?

Most of us are reading and responding to what others have written. Just not your original post.

In fact, many of us obliquely responded to your post by disagreeing with its prioritizing of SP over other position players through the FA market.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So the conversation strayed? What's the big deal?

Most of us are reading and responding to what others have written. Just not your original post.

In fact, many of us obliquely responded to your post by disagreeing with its prioritizing of SP over other position players through the FA market.

I certainly am not one of the "most of us." To me it is a no - brainer to prioritize starting pitching. It stunk to high heaven last year.

Furthermore, how do you know he hasn't already peaked out? The Orioles once had a guy named Curt Blefary who was Rookie of the Year as an outfielder and looked even more promising than Markakis but he peaked out early on and never reached expectations.

You don't, but most players who are good at 22, better at 23, and among the best right fielders in the league at 24 don't suddenly flame out. Blefray wasn't much of a defender, and had the misfortune of playing in one of the better pitcher's eras of the last century. Markakis is a very well-rounded player with few weaknesses who has progressed in each of his seasons in the majors.

You could certainly make a good argument that he's the best right fielder in baseball, and the most valuable right fielder in the game over the next 6-8 years.

You don't, but most players who are good at 22, better at 23, and among the best right fielders in the league at 24 don't suddenly flame out. Blefray wasn't much of a defender, and had the misfortune of playing in one of the better pitcher's eras of the last century. Markakis is a very well-rounded player with few weaknesses who has progressed in each of his seasons in the majors.

You could certainly make a good argument that he's the best right fielder in baseball, and the most valuable right fielder in the game over the next 6-8 years.

Actually, I recall watching Blefary make some incredible plays in the outfield. He may not have had a great arm but my grandfather attended a game and I listened to it on the radio at old Memorial stadium and he said Blefary robbed a guy of a homer by bring a ball back into the park and saving a game that was one of the best plays he ever saw.

Actually, I recall watching Blefary make some incredible plays in the outfield. He may not have had a great arm but my grandfather attended a game and I listened to it on the radio at old Memorial stadium and he said Blefary robbed a guy of a homer by bring a ball back into the park and saving a game that was one of the best plays he ever saw.

Well, that seals it. Pens down. Game over.

Well, that seals it. Pens down. Game over.

Did you ever see Blefary playing the outfield? If not than please refrain from the negative remarks thank you as you have no idea or clue whatsover about Blefary as far as an outfielder goes. I saw the man play numerous games.

Did you see this play? If not, kindly refrain from using it in support of your arguments.

Did you ever see Blefary playing the outfield? If not than please refrain from the negative remarks thank you as you have no idea or clue whatsover about Blefary as far as an outfielder goes. I saw the man play numerous games.

I saw Blefary play and he was no Markakis. Nick is the best O's young player since Cal IMO.

Did you see this play? If not, kindly refrain from using it in support of your arguments.

No, but my grandfather did and I can recall Chuck Thompson going bonkers on the radio as to what a great play it was. I also as I said in another post did see Blefary many games playing the outfield and I thought he was very good defensively.

I saw Blefary play and he was no Markakis. Nick is the best O's young player since Cal IMO.

I agree, he wasn't as good in the outfield as Markakis as Nick has a better arm. I disagree though on your other comment. I think Roberts is the best O's young player since Cal at this point in time.It remains to be seen if Markakis elevates his game. As it stands now he IMO is very disappointing as a power hitter.

Yes this team needs to get more pitching. And yes Tex is a good player. GOld Glove but he is not going to be the savior of the O's like some believe he is. So I guess I go along with the Old Guy on this. I really just don't want to see the O's spend all on one guy no matter how good he is. Hall of Fame or not. IMO

Yes this team needs to get more pitching. And yes Tex is a good player. GOld Glove but he is not going to be the savior of the O's like some believe he is. So I guess I go along with the Old Guy on this. I really just don't want to see the O's spend all on one guy no matter how good he is. Hall of Fame or not. IMO

No one guy could be a savior for the Orioles until they land or develop at least three more starting pitchers much better than they have now. I don't see how anyone could possibly disagree with that.

If Eddie Murray was a FA this year at the age of 28 would you be interested in him? That's exactly the kind of player Tex is.

What is wrong with Huff? Also, maybe Scott could be converted to a first baseman and Montanez could take over LF. IMO there is way, way WAY to much emphasis on signing Texeiera when it matters nada until the starting pitching is essentially completely upgraded at every spot in the rotation. I would much prefer saving the Tex money on a future ace aquisition, or maybe a couple of number two starters. A big bat like Tex is not all that scarce of a commodity unlike starting pitching. Why blow the wad on one player? I think that would be a very unwise way to utilize limited resources.

When that one player has home town ties- which could bring a fan base back- which would bring in more revenue, increase optimism, and attract more of those free agent pitchers you want to put the emphasis on signing- yes it should be a priority.

I agree, he wasn't as good in the outfield as Markakis as Nick has a better arm. I disagree though on your other comment. I think Roberts is the best O's young player since Cal at this point in time.It remains to be seen if Markakis elevates his game. As it stands now he IMO is very disappointing as a power hitter.

I didn't realize that Markakis was touted as a "power hitter". I've always heard him compared to Paul O'Neill, who was a pretty fair player in his day. I think he probably compares to him pretty well, personally.

Archived