Getting the roster from 27 to 38

interloper

Ellis was outrighted off the 40-man roster in 2019 when he was returned to the St. Louis system following his Rule 5 selection.  Therefore, he had the right to opt for free agency upon this recent outright assignment.

Even if he hadn't been outrighted previously, he would have qualified as a minor league free agent 5 days after the World Series.

With that said, I would still think the likelihood of a reunion would be high.  He would arguably be the #2 starter on the MLB depth chart at the current time.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

He'll get a little more money presumably by re-signing as a minor league free agent I'm guessing? I'm sure it's the kind of thing where as his agent, you insist he at least test free agency. I hope he comes back, bad peripherals or not. We'll need guys like him and maybe he's figured something out. 

It probably doesn't hurt for him to see what someone is willing to pay him, but it will be hard to find a better opportunity then sticking with the Orioles. 

1 hour ago, NCSUFreak2006 said:

Ellis was outrighted off the 40-man roster in 2019 when he was returned to the St. Louis system following his Rule 5 selection.  Therefore, he had the right to opt for free agency upon this recent outright assignment.

Even if he hadn't been outrighted previously, he would have qualified as a minor league free agent 5 days after the World Series.

With that said, I would still think the likelihood of a reunion would be high.  He would arguably be the #2 starter on the MLB depth chart at the current time.

Thanks for the clarification on the rules and his transaction history. I agree though, it would seem his best chance to pitch in the majors as a starter is with the Orioles as of right now at least.

3 hours ago, NCSUFreak2006 said:

His minor league numbers are pretty bad. If he is our #2 that is only due to the quality of the alternatives. I'm.not worried if he gets away regardless.of how he did in a small sample.

57 minutes ago, wildcard said:

When a Rule 5 player is returned there is no outrighting.   He is returned as a minor leaguer.

The act of a player clearing waivers and being assigned off a 40-man roster to the minors, counts the same as an outright in regards to player rights.

Dany Jiménez, Nestor Cortes, Travis Bergen, and Logan Verrett are examples of recent players who were able to elect free agency after a single "outright", because they had been returned previously from the Rule 5 draft (which technically counted as their first outright).

42 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

His minor league numbers are pretty bad. If he is our #2 that is only due to the quality of the alternatives. I'm.not worried if he gets away regardless.of how he did in a small sample.

Agreed.  I suppose I'm overvaluing him because of the recency bias of him actually being able to get through a few innings unlike most of the other starters. ?

They hopefully can do much better, but he's not the worst depth guy to have around on a team that runs through pitchers at the rate the O's do!

3 hours ago, NCSUFreak2006 said:

The act of a player clearing waivers and being assigned off a 40-man roster to the minors, counts the same as an outright in regards to player rights.

Dany Jiménez, Nestor Cortes, Travis Bergen, and Logan Verrett are examples of recent players who were able to elect free agency after a single "outright", because they had been returned previously from the Rule 5 draft (which technically counted as their first outright).

I had never seen that before.  Thanks.