Promotions I want to see in 2022

wildcard

Things aren’t going to go quite in order. We’re going to see some pitchers up before Grod and Stowers.  We’ll likely see Bradish, Bautista, Neustrom, all up before the “better” Grod and Stowers. We have to play the service clock with our top prospects because it’s just worth too much if one of them hits big. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Things aren’t going to go quite in order. We’re going to see some pitchers up before Grod and Stowers.  We’ll likely see Bradish, Bautista, Neustrom, all up before the “better” Grod and Stowers. We have to play the service clock with our top prospects because it’s just worth too much if one of them hits big. 

Once you get past the first 3 week of the season, the service time game is done.  

At that point, the only reason you keep a player down is for them to avoid super 2 status, which is usually around June 1, give or take.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes but you aren’t bringing him up to play sparingly.  If/when Stowers is up in 2022, it should be to play everyday, so I do tend to agree with Frobby here.

What is happening with the guys in front of him will dictate this to a certain degree. 

If Stowers comes up in June I would look for more a time sharing in the outfield and DH  between the 4 outfielders through the tough part of the season.   That would keep everyone rested and allow  players time off for injuries.    I think it could really be a big help to the overall production of the team instead of watching Santander and Hays try to play on one healthy leg the way they did last season.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Neustrom could be come up before Stowers because you don’t feel the need to play him everyday.

Neustrom also had about triple the amount of time in AAA last year as Stowers did, not that this is determinative (64 games, 257 PA vs. 22 games, 93 PA.   As between the two, I expect 2022 performance is more likely to be a factor in promotion priority than 2021 experience.

Looking at Neustrom, I think the hope for him is that he’d be a slightly better version of Stewart.   Stowers has more upside than that, but I don’t know that the O’s will only promote him if there’s an everyday job available.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Neustrom also had about triple the amount of time in AAA last year as Stowers did, not that this is determinative (64 games, 257 PA vs. 22 games, 93 PA.   As between the two, I expect 2022 performance is more likely to be a factor in promotion priority than 2021 experience.

Looking at Neustrom, I think the hope for him is that he’d be a slightly better version of Stewart.   Stowers has more upside than that, but I don’t know that the O’s will only promote him if there’s an everyday job available.   

Maybe not everyday but if Stowers is coming up, he should be starting at least 4 games a week.

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Maybe not everyday but if Stowers is coming up, he should be starting at least 4 games a week.

If Stowers comes up you play him everyday. Really with any young player. You have to see what you have. Realistically to start last season we should’ve had a vet CF type and had McKenna in AAA. 

20 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Baumann has already had his debut. I did forget Bradish, maybe because in my wishful thinking I was hoping he'd have already been promoted by now. 

The controversy  is not when they will come up.  Its what role they will have.   Just ask Tony.

41 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Don’t expect Grayson up before June 1, and even that sounds early. He didn’t pitch in AAA, they’re gonna use that as justification to keep him down longer. 

All depends how he does IMO.   If he’s going to debut in 2022 (which I think is 90% probable), I’d rather have him get as much major league experience as his performance justifies, so that he can come into 2023 as an established major league pitcher.  

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

All depends how he does IMO.   If he’s going to debut in 2022 (which I think is 90% probable), I’d rather have him get as much major league experience as his performance justifies, so that he can come into 2023 as an established major league pitcher.  

Assuming it stays, I can’t imagine they’d subject him to Super 2 status

57 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Don’t expect Grayson up before June 1, and even that sounds early. He didn’t pitch in AAA, they’re gonna use that as justification to keep him down longer. 

But why?  Elias has basically already said that Grayson will be up in 2022 and soon.  Once you get past the late April date, the service time game ends unless they want to play with Super 2.  

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But why?  Elias has basically already said that Grayson will be up in 2022 and soon.  Once you get past the late April date, the service time game ends unless they want to play with Super 2.  

The new collective bargaining agreement will determine when Rodriguez pitches in the majors. He's ready now.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think they’ll play games with Super 2. They did with Wieters. If they could get away with it, they’d probably try with AR.