Orioles promote 1 Coach, hire second

Legend_Of_Joey

9 minutes ago, CarrRun49 said:

Ok. But he is Adley Rutschman. Not Buster Posey.  One is going to the Hall of Fame. The other hasn't seen a major league pitch.

I don't think Buster Posey knows anything anything about Ryan Fuller and that is who we are talking about.  Adley has worked with Fuller.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I'm still think highly of Holt.  I think missing a month hurt. 

I don't know how  Fuller will work out but he will surely will be bringing the philosophy he has been successfully preaching in the minors.

All of this is fine..just don’t go over the top about it.  Just see how it plays out, that’s all I’m saying.

1 hour ago, CarrRun49 said:

Huh? I love Adley.  But this is a weird take.  It falls in line with Adley being the second coming of Jesus in cleats.  "If Adley says so, he must be right".  I heard Adley really liked working with Tom Eller at Aberdeen.  Therefore, he is the right guy for the job.

I am sure the coach's rapport and success with the teams top prospect had to be a consideration. Certainly better than the opposite.

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I am sure the coach's rapport and success with the teams top prospect had to be a consideration. Certainly better than the opposite.

Sure. But saying everyone will just fall in line because Adley says so is a different story.  People react to differently to various styles and philosophy. Player A may be a match made in heaven for Mr. Fuller's teachings. Player B may not.  

24 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I'm still think highly of Holt.  I think missing a month hurt. 

I don't know how  Fuller will work out but he will surely will be bringing the philosophy he has been successfully preaching in the minors.

I think Holt deserves another year to show what he can do, but to me the burden of proof is on him at this point.   Last year’s pitching was abysmal and it’s not like it got better as the year went along.  

As to Fuller, I don’t think he was preaching anything different from what Don Long was preaching.   But he had a club full of players who had been drafted by Elias, who weighs good plate discipline heavily when he’s deciding who to draft.   I see guys like Mountcastle and Hays who are striving mightily to develop more plate discipline, but it’s just not in their nature to be very disciplined hitters.  I doubt Fuller can change that in any very dramatic way, though we can hope for continued incremental improvement.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Holt deserves another year to show what he can do, but to me the burden of proof is on him at this point.   Last year’s pitching was abysmal and it’s not like it got better as the year went along.  

As to Fuller, I don’t think he was preaching anything different from what Don Long was preaching.   But he had a club full of players who had been drafted by Elias, who weighs good plate discipline heavily when he’s deciding who to draft.   I see guys like Mountcastle and Hays who are striving mightily to develop more plate discipline, but it’s just not in their nature to be very disciplined hitters.  I doubt Fuller can change that in any very dramatic way, though we can hope for continued incremental improvement.   

Its always been on Holt to prove himself at the major league level.  

I agree that there were not many that improved as the season went on but there were a couple.  Lopez hadn't had much success with other clubs but he turned into a good 4 inning pitcher that belongs in relief.   Sulser has a good season overall and his first complete season in the majors.  He had some trouble in the 2nd half but finished strong in Sept.   Ellis did well late in the season but I don't think Holt had a lot to do with that.

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I agree that there were not many that improved as the season went on but there were a couple.  Lopez hadn't had much success with other clubs but he turned into a good 4 inning pitcher that belongs in relief.   Sulser has a good season overall and his first complete season in the majors.  He had some trouble in the 2nd half but finished strong in Sept.   Ellis did well late in the season but I don't think Holt had a lot to do with that.

Any pitching coach is going to have some success with players here and there.  That is why they have the job.  That should happen.  Patting him on the back for making a bad pitcher sort of mediocre isn’t something incredibly accomplishment.

32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Lopez was bad in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd innings. Ok in the 4th, terrible epically bad in the 5th. I think "good 4 inning pitcher" is a pretty big overstatement there and if that is anywhere near the top of his success portfolio that is pretty bad. I'm fine with trying Holt for a while rather than scapegoating the pitching coach but let's not pretend Lopez was ever a good starting pitcher in any capacity. 

Two young inexperienced energetic analytical-approach coaches. It isn’t what they know, it is their ability to communicate what they DO know to the player. Like any coach, it will take time to build a rapport with each player and earn their trust and respect. It is valid to wonder how they will do with guys like Mancini, Santander, Hays, Mullins, Mountcastle, etc… We do not know what impact Fuller may have had with guys in spring training or at the alternate site in 2020. He may already be a bit of a known quantity to some of the guys. But, maybe more importantly, the wave of guys coming from the minor leagues will feel comfortable with him and that should help with their transitions. 

• Upvote 2