Some Intriguing prospects up for Rule 5 grabs (in my opinion):

DocJJ

Manea fills a need but basically having two rookie catchers may not be Elias’ idea of a fun year.  Not sure we need more outfielders so pitching is probably where we go.  Curious to see if we cut anyone else from the 40 man before the Rule 5 draft now that we made 7 additions today.

10 minutes ago, oriole said:

A catcher doesn’t seem like a bad idea. By the time AR is deemed “ready” then there will be an idea of what a rule 5 guy can bring and if he’s worth keeping. 

Considering we don’t have any catchers at all right now, I think drafting a catcher To back up our opening day starter is a splendid idea.

Austin Cox looks like a left-handed Tyler Wells.  A starter out of AA that would fit well in the pen for a year until they determine his long term future.   No quite as tall but has pitched well at  AA.  He didn't pitch a lot of innings last year (63) because he had Covid early in the year.  He was the AA Central pitcher of the Week in August.  My only caution is what happen to him in  late August/ Sept and why did KC not protect him?

https://www.milb.com/northwest-arkansas/news/austin-cox-named-aa-central-pitcher-of-the-week

Some interesting guys there, though I can't imagine Mike would take a catcher.

Last year before the Rule 5 draft, I read a lot of articles that detailed the best prospects available. I don't think Sceroler or Wells were even mentioned. It's very unpredictable. This year, I think I'll just wait and see who Mike takes and then look them up.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

Some interesting guys there, though I can't imagine Mike would take a catcher.

Last year before the Rule 5 draft, I read a lot of articles that detailed the best prospects available. I don't think Sceroler or Wells were even mentioned. It's very unpredictable. This year, I think I'll just wait and see who Mike takes and then look them up.

That’s what I do.   Though we did take Martin in 2018, and he was at the top of the MLB.com list.   

• Upvote 1