Some Intriguing prospects up for Rule 5 grabs (in my opinion):

DocJJ

Ben: Any guesses as to why the Rays didn’t protect Blake Hunt? He is on the BOARD as a 50 FV with a 2022 eta. Do the Rays think is farther away and no one will rule 5 draft him? Or are they planning to trade him before the draft? Or do you think they are just a lot lower on him than you and Eric?
2:27
Kevin Goldstein: The Rays had a serious crunch and decisions had to be made. It’s really hard to take a catcher with 17 games above A-Ball and expect him to stick in the big leagues, He also had a disappointing year. I think they made the right choice there.

On 11/19/2021 at 8:54 PM, DocJJ said:

Of this bunch, I'd take Robinson Pena (best combination of ceiling, potential, close to majors) or Austin Cox who doesn't have the same ceiling, but is capable and has the bonus of being left handed.

Plus he's from the Angels -  We love Angels pitchers!

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Frobby said:

Here’s a possibility for a trade.   The Braves just signed Manny Pina two a two year deal and they already have Travis D’Arnaud under contract for two years as well.   So, it appears their 23-year old backup William (I’m not Wilson) Contreras is expendable.   He played 52 games last year, basically at replacement level but he was a rookie and maybe has room to grow, and probably wouldn’t cost much.   https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/contrwi02.shtml

Oh wow.  I missed this post - I had the exact same idea.  Great minds...  well.  Anyway, Langaliers (the 2nd catcher picked in the Adley draft) is likely the Braves catcher of the future - ahead of Contreras.    

22 hours ago, Frobby said:
Ben: Any guesses as to why the Rays didn’t protect Blake Hunt? He is on the BOARD as a 50 FV with a 2022 eta. Do the Rays think is farther away and no one will rule 5 draft him? Or are they planning to trade him before the draft? Or do you think they are just a lot lower on him than you and Eric?
2:27
Kevin Goldstein: The Rays had a serious crunch and decisions had to be made. It’s really hard to take a catcher with 17 games above A-Ball and expect him to stick in the big leagues, He also had a disappointing year. I think they made the right choice there.

The few articles I saw on the Rays Rule 5 decisions had him as a lock to be protected. However, he really didn't hit last year and also didn't do great with base runners.

30 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The few articles I saw on the Rays Rule 5 decisions had him as a lock to be protected. However, he really didn't hit last year and also didn't do great with base runners.

He had a .735 at A+ last year. Very minimal AA ABs but he was pretty bad there. 

I don't think you can plan to use a Rule V pick for a role you are going to need to use all the time.  Backup catcher, whether Adley or anyone else, is going to play a couple times a week.  Rule V picks are good if you can stash them a the end of the bench as a pinch runner, defensive replacemnent or mop up duty in the bullpen.

1 hour ago, connja said:

I don't think you can plan to use a Rule V pick for a role you are going to need to use all the time.  Backup catcher, whether Adley or anyone else, is going to play a couple times a week.  Rule V picks are good if you can stash them a the end of the bench as a pinch runner, defensive replacemnent or mop up duty in the bullpen.

If a catcher was that good they wouldn’t be available in the Rule 5 draft. It’s a nice idea, but the O’s need to target a veteran experienced catcher to pair up with Adley.

Also if the service time rules are unchanged, it likely means that we don’t see AR until a few weeks into the season. Another reason to bring in a veteran backstop. 

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If a catcher was that good they wouldn’t be available in the Rule 5 draft. It’s a nice idea, but the O’s need to target a veteran experienced catcher to pair up with Adley.

Also if the service time rules are unchanged, it likely means that we don’t see AR until a few weeks into the season. Another reason to bring in a veteran backstop. 

But why?  Results don't matter.  Maximize talent.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Why do they NEED this?  

Do you feel if they don’t do this that Adley won’t reach his full potential?

I don’t see why we can’t have both. We could have Suzuki around on an MiLB deal until 6/1. Then DFA him when AR comes up. He’d play 4-5 times a week. It might help our pitching too. Then let a rule 5 catcher play the other 1-2 games. IIRC, there are lots of off days in the first part of the season. I don’t see the new CBA changing that. 

• 1 month later...

I really like Tahnaj Thomas of the Pirates for the bullpen. He's only 22 and was their 13th ranked prospect. He didn't have the best year last season and for some reason wasn't protected. They say he can hit over 100 at times and averages 96 MPH. He is also a former second round pick. I feel like he would be a perfect Rule 5 pick to add to the bullpen and see what the coaches can do with him. I feel he could be a steal for us. 

https://www.bucsdugout.com/2021/11/22/22795064/will-pittsburgh-pirates-regret-their-tahnaj-thomas-decision

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2021 at 8:16 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

Would love to take a catcher in the Rule 5. There seems to be a bunch available. No reason why we can’t get a cheap 6 year caddy to AR. 

AR can be his mentor.  Under ordinary circumstances, that would be a recipe for disaster, but I think w/ AR's advanced development it could work.  Would the O's need to have a 3rd reliable catcher?