I'm already over this offseason.

Moose Milligan

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Not much more than KG to go to the same team.  

Yeah, I dunno.  I still like the ERod contract the best.  I'd have given him 5/80 easily.  I really don't trust KG or Ray much going forward.  And 3/130 for Max is crazy.  At least Matz was a cheaper gamble but he has been bad outside of last year.  We gotta improve the rotation somehow.

Funny how Gausman, Davies, ERod, Bundy, Cobb, and Arrieta were all FAs at the same time.

41 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yes.  He's a staunch union guy so he wanted to set a record before doomsday on Wednesday.

Rooting for the Braves to repeat in the division at least.  Would like to see Cohen flail about and continue to throw money at his problems.  I don't hate the Mets but if they want to be the NL Yankees, let them.

I think the Mets still are a strong candidate to go 79-83 next year. Not that as Orioles fans we have much to laugh at. But I do sleep better at night knowing Yankees fans must be going nuts right now with their team's Orioles like winter (as in no free agents being signed). 

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think the Mets still are a strong candidate to go 79-83 next year. Not that as Orioles fans we have much to laugh at. But I do sleep better at night knowing Yankees fans must be going nuts right now with their team's Orioles like winter (as in no free agents being signed). 

I agree, to an extent.  Health-permitting, the pitching will be great.  But it is fair to wonder if the offense was even upgraded significantly, and they are losing Conforto.  On a related note, I would make a call to see if Dominic Smith could be had for cheap, especially if the Orioles are trading/N-Ting Santander. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The Mets still need a lot to go their way.  DeGrom, as good as he is, seems to be pretty delicate.  IIRC, had to shut him down a few times during last season and finally for good in mid-July.  Scherzer's age is what it is.  Their season is toast if those guys don't perform to what they're capable of or spend significant amounts of time on the IL.  

But yes, schadenfreude at the Yankees not having a good offseason thus far.  You and I both know that it can change very quickly for them, however.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wow, I thought Robbie Ray was returning to the Jays.  

He was someone I wanted us to consider this offseason, before he won the Cy Young and drove his price up.  I don't know if I like him at 5/115.  I think I might actually prefer the Gausman deal, strictly because Ray smacks of a guy who had a career year in a contract season.  Gausman has been good for two years (albeit a shortened 2020 season) in SF.  Can Gausman keep whatever magic he found in SF?  Remains to be seen.  Same with Ray.  

Really interesting offseason.

I thought you were over it already.  ?

I think the impending contract dispute is really accelerating the moves for a lot of teams.   I can’t ever remember this many significant deals happening before the winter meetings.   Seems like a lot of teams want their key pieces in place before the music stops.   And heavy emphasis on the pitchers.   

As to Gausman vs. Ray, I’d probably go with the latter because of what he was able to do in the AL East.

8 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I agree, to an extent.  Health-permitting, the pitching will be great.  But it is fair to wonder if the offense was even upgraded significantly, and they are losing Conforto.  On a related note, I would make a call to see if Dominic Smith could be had for cheap, especially if the Orioles are trading/N-Ting Santander. 

I see Mets fans saying on social media they will have deGrom and Scherzer start 60 out of 160 games in 2022. But will that really happen? deGrom is not a sure bet to make 30 starts and Scherzer is right on the edge of being to old to pitch a full season. 

Mets could have a very good season if those two pitch as advertise, but like you pointed out their offense could be an issue even with great pitching. 

Meanwhile we're waiting on Elias to sign our next Matt Harvey to fill out the rotation. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I thought you were over it already.  ?

I think the impending contract dispute is really accelerating the moves for a lot of teams.   I can’t ever remember this many significant deals happening before the winter meetings.   Seems like a lot of teams want their key pieces in place before the music stops.   And heavy emphasis on the pitchers.   

As to Gausman vs. Ray, I’d probably go with the latter because of what he was able to do in the AL East.

Oh I'm over it from an Orioles fan perspective, for sure.  Here we are, sitting on our thumbs.  Can we even just get a decent reliever?  Sheesh.  

In regards to Gausman vs. Ray, I see your point.  It's pretty close to a coin flip for me, both guys have questions on whether their 2021 seasons are repeatable in new environments.  

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I see Mets fans saying on social media they will have deGrom and Scherzer start 60 out of 160 games in 2022. But will that really happen? deGrom is not a sure bet to make 30 starts and Scherzer is right on the edge of being to old to pitch a full season. 

Mets could have a very good season if those two pitch as advertise, but like you pointed out their offense could be an issue even with great pitching. 

Meanwhile we're waiting on Elias to sign our next Matt Harvey to fill out the rotation. 

It really, really sucks to be an Orioles fan.  

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Please, we all know its going to be Matt Harvey again. ERA under 7 = major league deal. Over 7 though is minor league deal with spring training 

• Upvote 1