I'm already over this offseason.

Moose Milligan

19 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Whoa. I like Gausman and hope he does well except when he’s facing the Orioles. But he’s been up and down during his career and this contract will blow up in the Blue Jays’ face. 

I’d rather have E-Rod for 5/77. 

You would think they would remember what it was like hitting against him when he was in the AL East.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

You would think they would remember what it was like hitting against him when he was in the AL East.

Maybe they think Gausman has turned a corner, but what's to stop Gausman from turning another corner and reverting back to a mediocre pitcher.

I'm just surprised that Gausman wasn't signed for E-Rod type money based on his up and down career. 

7 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

22M a year for Gausman?  I know he was much better last year, but that seem excessive.  Good for him, but that seems like crazy money.  

He was also very good in 2020. Over the last 2 seasons his mlb rank for those throwing 200+ innings.

251 2/3IP (10th)

3.00 ERA (9th)

3.02 FIP (4th)

3.22 xFIP (6th)

10.94 k/9 (6th)

6.4 fWAR (6th)

27 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

22M a year for Gausman?  I know he was much better last year, but that seem excessive.  Good for him, but that seems like crazy money.  

22M isn’t really a lot per year anymore.

That used to be elite money but now it’s like really good player money. My issue isn’t the money per year but the amount of years. 

47 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

22M isn’t really a lot per year anymore.

That used to be elite money but now it’s like really good player money. My issue isn’t the money per year but the amount of years. 

Maybe.  But a quick search online shows that making 22M a year would put him at roughly the 30th highest paid player in MLB for 2022.  Granted there will still be signings that may push that down some and he probably isn't getting 22M in 2022 as contracts are usually lowest in the first year and what not.  But still shows where his salary fits, more or less.  Maybe top 30 isn't 'elite', but that's still a ton of money.  I know contracts for the top players have exploded, with the top getting close to 38 million.  Still, 22M is a ton of money.  I think this is a contract the team will regret making for that many years and at that kind of money, but only time will tell.

• Upvote 1