O's claim LHP Cionel Perez from Reds

interloper

4 hours ago, interloper said:

Offseason waiver claims so far:

1. Bryan Baker, RHP (27)
  2. Lucius Fox, INF (24)
  3. Cionel Perez, LHP (25)

Add Mateo, Guiterrez, Urias, and Rico Garcia, it’s almost like we didn’t sit out the int’l market for 20 years. Lots of guys with high ceilings. This is what a team coming off a 110 loss season should do. Pitching wise, our org might be comparable to an expansion team after 1 year of being in the league. 

Perez was the Astros’ #9 prospect in 2019, per mlbpipeline  

With the #1 waiver position, it’s going to interesting to see who is at the bottom of the 40 man. Is it Martin and/or Nevin, or Mattson and the failed SP group? 

I think we’re going to really see Elias put his stamp on this 40 man this offseason and cast off some of the previous regime’s baggage. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1

How many guys has he picked up now that were in the Houston org when he was?

I mean there's nothing wrong with it but when it happens over and over you start wondering if it's just a bit lazy perhaps?  There are plenty of fish in the sea, you shouldn't always be going back to the same spot to cast your net,or some such mixed metaphor.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, SteveA said:

How many guys has he picked up now that were in the Houston org when he was?

I mean there's nothing wrong with it but when it happens over and over you start wondering if it's just a bit lazy perhaps?  There are plenty of fish in the sea, you shouldn't always be going back to the same spot to cast your net,or some such mixed metaphor.

By my count not many. I wish he would get more. Instead we have like 7 former Angels’ prospects. 

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

This is the first claim that I like a bit, even if he's got a Tanner Scott vibe.

Short lefthander with a 96 MPH fastball, a plus slider and who will flash a change occasionally. Obviously the walks are the issue and why he was DFA'd. May have the major league yips a bit since he doesn't have awful walk rates in the minors. 

Still, if I'm going to take a chance on a guy, the stuff is there for him to be successful, but he needs to find that control.

If he’s got the major league yips, Baltimore is the perfect spot for him. 

19 hours ago, interloper said:

It appears we'll be doing some 40-man trimming prior to the Rule 5. Some of those trimmings could be any of the guys we've claimed so far, too. 

I wonder if the Orioles do not believe there will be a Rule 5. Or at least they are hedging if that turns out to be the case.

On 11/25/2021 at 9:39 AM, Aristotelian said:

I wonder if the Orioles do not believe there will be a Rule 5. Or at least they are hedging if that turns out to be the case.

Might as well hedge, sure. I like the idea of using all the roster spots until you need the space because you never know, you might sneak a few guys through waivers, etc. 

5 hours ago, interloper said:

Might as well hedge, sure. I like the idea of using all the roster spots until you need the space because you never know, you might sneak a few guys through waivers, etc. 

It's definitely hedge and let's face it the Rule 5 draft is one of the highlights of every Orioles offseason in recent years. If there is a work stoppage on December 1st, then the Rule 5 draft gets delayed or doesn't happen at all.