Chris Holt discusses offseason training to increase velocity

Frobby

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

That subject had already been covered to a degree in a prior article relating to the same interview.

“For a lot of guys, it’s delivery efficiency, and for some guys, it’s body control. There is the physical component and sometimes there is a mental component to it also,” Holt explained. “The willingness and the capability, if you want to call it that, to attack the zone, to attack your best quality locations. So when it comes to developing command, identifying what defines command for this pitcher is the first step. For pitchers that throw four-seam fastballs and vertical breaking balls, command is more north and south. And for a Brenan Hanifee(another O’s minor league pitcher), command is more east and west, and so defining what that means and then approaching it from a training standpoint is the first step.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2021/11/chris-holt-with-insights-on-two-new-40-man-roster-pitchers.html

That has nothing to do with velocity. It’s not illogical, but command and velocity are two different things, especially when achieving more velocity involves sacrificing command.

It makes sense that higher velocity will give more benefit to higher spin rate, but That makes no difference unless you can throw the ball accurately, and accuracy should be the first priority. That’s why Tanner Scott is so frustrating. Who cares that he can throw 98 miles an hour or whatever.

31 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I'm sure the coaches are aware of Scott's control issues. Working on velocity does not mean they are not working on command. That is probably something the coach has little influence on anyway. 

I do not know the nuances of what a pitcher does or does not need.

It does make sense that focusing on velocity means you’re not focusing on what is necessary. Velocity may very well affect accuracy, and because hitting a ball is very hard even for the best player, it seems that accuracy is more important than velocity, up to a point at least.

Regardless, the very goal of this workshop is “increased velocity” if they were focusing on other things the workshop would have been called, “improve command” So it is obvious where the emphasis is, and forgive me, that makes me suspicious.

39 minutes ago, Philip said:

Came here to say the same thing. Does Tanner Scott need more velocity? Ummmmmmmno.

If you have idiot coaches, you’re going to have unsuccessful players.

If you look at Frobby's post, he shows the first of two articles was about command. The second was about velocity. So they actually did write about it.

Now, whether you think either article is earth shattering in the least is up to you, but they do talk about command.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

If you look at Frobby's post, he shows the first of two articles was about command. The second was about velocity. So they actually did write about it.

Now, whether you think either article is earth shattering in the least is up to you, but they do talk about command.

I did look, but the comments are meaningless. “How do you define command?” And then Saying, basically, that each pitcher has individual needs, which goes without saying…or should. again, the focus is on velocity, and it should be the other way around.

17 minutes ago, Philip said:

I do not know the nuances of what a pitcher does or does not need.

It does make sense that focusing on velocity means you’re not focusing on what is necessary. Velocity may very well affect accuracy, and because hitting a ball is very hard even for the best player, it seems that accuracy is more important than velocity, up to a point at least.

Regardless, the very goal of this workshop is “increased velocity” if they were focusing on other things the workshop would have been called, “improve command” So it is obvious where the emphasis is, and forgive me, that makes me suspicious.

Focusing on velocity is not mutually exclusive with coaching other stuff and there is zero in the article that says or implies they are doing less on other stuff. My kids school has a math class, that does not mean they aren't getting science or English. If you choose to read it that way that is up to you. 

13 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Focusing on velocity is not mutually exclusive with coaching other stuff and there is zero in the article that says or implies they are doing less on other stuff. My kids school has a math class, that does not mean they aren't getting science or English. If you choose to read it that way that is up to you. 

You’re misunderstanding me, I am referring to the emphasis. If the emphasis were on many things the article would say so if the emphasis were on command it would say so, instead it says the emphasis is on velocity, which means velocity is the focus of the workshop.

If your kid goes to a class and the teacher says, “we’re having an off-season training program to improve math.” Then of course we’re going to assume they’re focusing on math and not on science.

I have no doubt that they are working on many things, but the focus is on velocity or the article would have said: 

“Chris Holt discusses off-season training to increase command.”

Or

“Chris Holt discusses Off-season training to improve results.” Which would have been a far more welcome title.

The article itself claims to focus on velocity, therefore, that is the main thrust of the training program. I am only responding to what has been said.

2 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I think they have the ability, but not the logistics. I'm not sure if it's minor league rules or what, but they give guys time off and certainly don't oversee all aspects of throwing programs, etc. Even if they get data and reports, they're definitely not supervising. 

It could be as simple as they cannot require people to live in proximity of their facilities, or refuse to pay or whatever. 

Could be. I just think in the big game of things, they should employ the people and own the equipment that driveline uses and ensure their best prospects are developing under their eye.

At the very least, sign development contracts with Driveline and other performance houses that they trust and have the pitching instructors track their progress. 

Maybe they are doing some of that, but Holt's answer made it seem like they give them things to work on but then it's up to them to make it happen. That seems shortsighted to me. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Philip said:

You’re misunderstanding me, I am referring to the emphasis. If the emphasis were on many things the article would say so if the emphasis were on command it would say so, instead it says the emphasis is on velocity, which means velocity is the focus of the workshop.

If your kid goes to a class and the teacher says, “we’re having an off-season training program to improve math.” Then of course we’re going to assume they’re focusing on math and not on science.

I have no doubt that they are working on many things, but the focus is on velocity or the article would have said: 

“Chris Holt discusses off-season training to increase command.”

Or

“Chris Holt discusses Off-season training to improve results.” Which would have been a far more welcome title.

The article itself claims to focus on velocity, therefore, that is the main thrust of the training program. I am only responding to what has been said.

Again, there is nothing in the article to suggest they are "emphasizing" velocity to the detriment of anything else. Can they increase velocity? Yes. What can they do? Some things. Is it standard for all guys? Sort of but they can tweak. Does the org sign off? We don't pressure anyone to do it. Are there downsides? Not sure so we send them to Driveline. Nowhere in that conversation does it appear they are emphasizing velocity or saying command is unimportant. Certainly nothing worth calling them idiot coaches. 

10 minutes ago, Philip said:

I think you didn't read the other article very carefully. This is at the end. It was a specific question that SM wanted to ask, not meant to represent the main thrust of any training program.

Still to come: Coming soon in this space, Holt will address a topic I find very interesting and should be a fun read for fans: Can a pitcher improve and increase his velocity over the winter? How would they do it and would the Orioles encourage this? Holt was nice enough to shoot a Zoom interview with me addressing all of that and more and you will read about it and see that Zoom here in a few days.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

That has nothing to do with velocity. It’s not illogical, but command and velocity are two different things, especially when achieving more velocity involves sacrificing command.

Nobody said it had to do with velocity.  SG was saying maybe they should have a program addressing command, not just a program dealing with velocity.   So, I was pointing out that Holt already had answered some questions about command training.   Two articles, both stemming from the same interview.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Yeah. I thought the command piece wasn't very good.

[Edit: e.g., not very inciteful.]

Well, the article wasn’t really about command, it was about Bautista and Gillaspie.   But issues about how to address Bautista’s command did come up.   

It’s ludicrous for anyone to think that any professional baseball team does not have programs in place to work on command.   Of course they do.   

Relievers walking the first batter they face is why I could never be a manager.  I could hear Bob Uecker's voice...

"And, Mercer's coming back out to the mound.  Why's he carrying a bat?  Wait, he's beating Tanner Scott over the head.  Oh, the humanity..."