O’s sign Jordan Lyles

LookinUp

24 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Why do I think he can help Lyles?   I don't evaluate any of the time with the Rockies because its the worse place to pitch.  I don't think the Pirates or the Ranger have good pitching programs.   Chris Hook with the Brewers is a good coach and Lyles did well there.   His numbers were probably a little lucky but even raising them some he would still have done well there.

Ray Searage, who was pitching coach of the Pirates at the time Lyles was there, had an excellent reputation and a very nice run in Pittsburgh, though he was fired at the end of 2019 and the Pirates had their worst ERA during his tenure that season.   Per his Wikipedia page:

As the Pirates' pitching coach, Searage was credited with rejuvenating the careers of Francisco Liriano, Edinson Vólquez, Charlie Morton, J. A. Happ, and A. J. Burnett.

5 hours ago, canonfaz said:

Lyles is the kind of guy you sign right before spring training starts.

Watching the way the lockout is being covered this morning, it feels like there will be no opportunity to sign anyone until a new CBA is reached, perhaps as late as March. 

Perhaps he was feeling that "right before spring training starts" desperation as midnight approached.

Just another Matt Harvey. I'm neither happy nor sad. Mike probably had to overpay to get even Lyles to come to Baltimore.

I wonder if the labor situation and the PA's anger towards cheap, non-competitive teams prompted this move. Doing nothing again would have looked really bad.

After the lockout, overpaying another SP will be necessary as well. Zach Davies, Chris Archer, and Matt Harvey are some options. 

59 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They paid 7M for what they hope to be 170 or more innings.  That’s it.

End of the day, there really is no more analysis needed.  He’s not good, the innings probably won’t be quality ones but if he takes the ball every 5th day and gets you into the 6th inning and beyond most nights, that has value to a team that needs it badly.

Last year was the first year he pitched over 142 innings in a season. All of metrics show him to be a well below average pitcher with a pitching style that may not fit Camden Yards.

I don't think it's assured at all he bought 170 innings of decent starting pitching. This is a guy who pitched to a 7.02 ERA in 2020 and who allowed 50 home runs in his last 238 IP. I would not be surprised if he's puts up Matt Harvey type numbers pitching in Camden Yards and against the AL East.

If you're happy with paying Matt Harvey performance for 7 million next year, ok. 

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol

Its annoying that this is even pointed out after years of sucking.  Like, who cares?

No, it's better to just sit around, rag on anyone for a different opinion while just being happy that the Orioles spent money, even if the player doesn't fit. Make perfect sense. lol 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

No, it's better to just sit around, rag on anyone for a different opinion while just being happy that the Orioles spent money, even if the player doesn't fit. Make perfect sense. lol 

You think his spin rates matter after all these years in the league with terrible performance?  You think they are a sign that his performance, at his age, is all of a sudden going to get better?

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Last year was the first year he pitched over 142 innings in a season. All of metrics show him to be a well below average pitcher with a pitching style that may not fit Camden Yards.

I don't think it's assured at all he bought 170 innings of decent starting pitching. This is a guy who pitched to a 7.02 ERA in 2020 and who allowed 50 home runs in his last 238 IP. I would not be surprised if he's puts up Matt Harvey type numbers pitching in Camden Yards and against the AL East.

If you're happy with paying Matt Harvey performance for 7 million next year, ok. 

Who said I was happy?  Hyperbole much?

26 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

Just another Matt Harvey. I'm neither happy nor sad. Mike probably had to overpay to get even Lyles to come to Baltimore.

I wonder if the labor situation and the PA's anger towards cheap, non-competitive teams prompted this move. Doing nothing again would have looked really bad.

After the lockout, overpaying another SP will be necessary as well. Zach Davies, Chris Archer, and Matt Harvey are some options. 

The Orioles paid Harvey one million dollars. If it takes 7 million to get Lyles to come to Baltimore, then the Orioles would have been much better off to wait and sign pitchers from the bargain bin right as spring training starts. No need to pay that much for poor to mediocre performance.