Former Os GM Roland Hemond passes away

Sports Guy

I once called into WBAL and asked Roland Hemond about a 3rd round draft choice that year.   I don't think he had any idea who I was talking about but he pretended he did and he was very nice and called me a very informed Oriole's fan.   R.I.P.

• Like 1

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/1989-transactions.shtml

The offseason transactions page is one of my very favorite on B-Ref.   With hindsight and grown-up wisdom, snapping up AAA All-Star Milligan to prepare for Murray trade looks connected in a way I'm sure I never appreciated in high school.

The Kennedy-Melvin trade looks like a catcher offense-defense challenge trade, and I'd forgotten Devereaux was a mid-Spring Training acquisition.  Mike Morgan's 150 innings of 2.50 ERA only being 1.8 WAR says a lot about era and park effects in the 80's NL.

RIP.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/1989-transactions.shtml

The offseason transactions page is one of my very favorite on B-Ref.   With hindsight and grown-up wisdom, snapping up AAA All-Star Milligan to prepare for Murray trade looks connected in a way I'm sure I never appreciated in high school.

The Kennedy-Melvin trade looks like a catcher offense-defense challenge trade, and I'd forgotten Devereaux was a mid-Spring Training acquisition.  Mike Morgan's 150 innings of 2.50 ERA only being 1.8 WAR says a lot about era and park effects in the 80's NL.

RIP.

Hemond also signed Mickey Tettleton in 1988 after the A's released him.  Tettleton was unfortunately traded for Jeff Robinson after the 1990 season. A trade I don't think happens today with baseball's adoption of analytics. Even back then it didn't make a whole lot of sense.

Hemond did a great job of scrapping together a good team in 1989 and almost winning the AL East in a down year for the division. Hemond also got Brady Anderson and Curt Schilling at the trade deadline for Mike Boddicker in 1988.

This was a very good trade that would have been even better if not for the trade that shall not be named.  

• Upvote 1