AAA to use Robot Umps

jarman86

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

That’s interesting because I’d read the robo-umps hadn’t been that well received in the other leagues that have tried it.   

Human plate umps are also not very well received in most of the leagues that use them.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Orioles4Life21 said:

Hate this. Sacrilege.

not everything has to be perfect and btw, it won’t be lol.

If Umps just missed calls I might agree with you.

If they missed calls and were actively deceived by catchers I might agree with you.

But I've seen too many Umps be flat out unprofessional and call pitches based on some grudge against a player or to stoke their ego.

Get it as right as you can.

Limit the Umps ability to impact the game as much as possible.

• Upvote 1

Tennis has done a nice job I feel in capturing recorded voice OUT or FAULT calls that stadium audio systems play as the computers operate in some big-time tournaments.   

It caught me by surprise when the announcers described the feature the first time I noticed it in broadcast, in part because it was also masked by ballspeople still being in position about where the linespeople also used to be.

I may or may not have contrived this post to get to say ballspeople.

59 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If Umps just missed calls I might agree with you.

If they missed calls and were actively deceived by catchers I might agree with you.

But I've seen too many Umps be flat out unprofessional and call pitches based on some grudge against a player or to stoke their ego.

Get it as right as you can.

Limit the Umps ability to impact the game as much as possible.

I think the proper solution is to punish/demote the umps that we all know suck. (Bucknor, Diaz, Hernandez, etc.)

On 1/20/2022 at 5:30 PM, Frobby said:

That’s interesting because I’d read the robo-umps hadn’t been that well received in the other leagues that have tried it.   

I have worked with Trackman a lot and can tell you it has faults. Especially in terms of the north/south dimensions of the strike zone.

6 minutes ago, Orioles4Life21 said:

I have worked with Trackman a lot and can tell you it has faults. Especially in terms of the north/south dimensions of the strike zone.

I think that if they are moving the testing up to AAA they must be confident they've improved the product.

Not, MLB, the actual people doing the work. 

Robot umps will at least make the strike zone consistent through the game, and through each AB. Tired of umpires "adjusting" their calls depending on the count or game situation. Plus I'm still hoping the robot umpires eventually look and act like Gort from the original "Day the Earth Stood Still". I'd pay serious money to see the David Ortiz type prima donnas get zapped into the next world first time they growled at a call they didn't like. 

• Upvote 1

I love it and hope it gets to the MLB level ASAP.  I'm sick and tired of umps with such inconsistent strike zones.  Sure, it may have always been this bad, but with the TV angles, replay and technologies we have no, it's just so obvious and erroneous.  Personally I want the only 'human element' to be the players, and for them to be rewarded, or punished. based on what they actually accomplish, not based on what some person behind the plate THINKS they accomplished.  Even if it hurts my team, I want pitches called properly.  I've yelled just as much at the TV for calls that go our way as those that go against us.

11 hours ago, forphase1 said:

I love it and hope it gets to the MLB level ASAP.  I'm sick and tired of umps with such inconsistent strike zones.  Sure, it may have always been this bad, but with the TV angles, replay and technologies we have no, it's just so obvious and erroneous.  Personally I want the only 'human element' to be the players, and for them to be rewarded, or punished. based on what they actually accomplish, not based on what some person behind the plate THINKS they accomplished.  Even if it hurts my team, I want pitches called properly.  I've yelled just as much at the TV for calls that go our way as those that go against us.

I hear you, but a lot of the players who experienced robo-umps last summer didn’t like them.