Universal DH likely?

Sports Guy

33 minutes ago, oriole said:

Do teams really value an okay hitter on the last year of arbitration for DH? I don’t think Mancini gets much in return either way.

I agree with this. I don't think the universal DH impacts Mancini's value at all (at least at the moment). Yes, there's a few more spots he could fill, but I don't see anyone giving up much for the 2021 Mancini for DH or 1B. Now, the 2019 Mancini is a different story. 

If Mancini gets off to a hot start and has a upper .850+ OPS in June and there's a team or two in need of a right-handed bat, we may be on to something. 

8 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I agree with this. I don't think the universal DH impacts Mancini's value at all (at least at the moment). Yes, there's a few more spots he could fill, but I don't see anyone giving up much for the 2021 Mancini for DH or 1B. Now, the 2019 Mancini is a different story. 

If Mancini gets off to a hot start and has a upper .850+ OPS in June and there's a team or two in need of a right-handed bat, we may be on to something. 

I think we can get a few potential role player like guys…future relievers, 4th OFer type players.

Between that and saving the money and roster spot, that’s fine.

Of course, part of the caveat to this is that they use that roster spot and money for something that matters.

7 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

The Central League of Japan also does not use the DH.

I stand corrected. The NL and the stupid Central League don't use the DH. ;)

Honestly, I've been saying that for years so I appreciate being corrected. I probably should have just googled it! :D

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

To be honest, if the AL were the only league in the world that used the DH, I would just think everyone else was wrong.  

Pitchers batting is just terrible on every level.

The idea that you get excited if they get a hit or drive in a run is everything you need to know to me.

Agreed except at the High School level and below.

I don't know how it is now, but we had the option of DHing any player on the field back in High School and since pitchers are usually some of your best overall players at that level, they almost always batted. We actually used to DH for our weak hitting but decent defensive SS. 

But at a professional level and even in college, the DH should be the rule. If your pitcher is good enough to hit let him, but if not, you should be allowed a DH.

• Upvote 1

I feel like a steady contributor/high floor guy like Mancini, if indeed this rule change is effectuated, he's more likely to be traded March 30th than July 30th.

NL clubs have had some years to kind of sort of know this was coming, but not all of the notional contenders will have a plug and play regular.   I feel like the actual creation of 15 jobs will skew the market more in the spring than the view of whatever 110 OPS+ projected guys have bad years or get hurt will in the summer.

Plus that way you can chase the bad PR with a shot of Adley in maybe 20-something days.

17 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I feel like a steady contributor/high floor guy like Mancini, if indeed this rule change is effectuated, he's more likely to be traded March 30th than July 30th.

NL clubs have had some years to kind of sort of know this was coming, but not all of the notional contenders will have a plug and play regular.   I feel like the actual creation of 15 jobs will skew the market more in the spring than the view of whatever 110 OPS+ projected guys have bad years or get hurt will in the summer.

Plus that way you can chase the bad PR with a shot of Adley in maybe 20-something days.

I don’t think the Os are worried about bad PR.

4 hours ago, jamalshw said:

In your first paragraph you said that you don't think that the universal DH impacts Mancini's value "at all", then in your second paragraph you explain a scenario in which the DH specifically does impact his value.

The universal DH can only help Mancini's value, bottom line.