Universal DH likely?

Sports Guy

I hope that the O's keep Mancini's value high.   Its all about the return and Mancini performance.    In the spring be willing to trade Mancini but if the O's don't get a significant offer, keep him.   

Mancini is not just a DH.  He is also a competent 1B.  His value at both positions is determined by his offense.

The O's should be willing to trade or extend Mancini.   With Stowers being the possible next man up  for RF the O's may find a high performing Santander is a better trade chip as 2021 moves on.    

Get the return wherever the market shows the  best deal.

'

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I hope that the O's keep Mancini's value high.   Its all about the return and Mancini performance.    In the spring be willing to trade Mancini but if the O's don't get a significant offer, keep him.   

Mancini is not just a DH.  He is also a competent 1B.  His value at both positions is determined by his offense.

The O's should be willing to trade or extend Mancini.   With Stowers being the possible next man up  for RF the O's may find a high performing Santander is a better trade chip as 2021 moves on.    

Get the return wherever the market shows the  best deal.

'

There is zero reason to extend Mancini right now or at any point during the season.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

Could someone like Ohtani still act as the DH on his days pitching?

Yes, the DH is an option. Teams can still bat their pitchers but cannot use a DH the rest of the game which means when the starting pitcher is removed, he must be removed from the game and that spot will need to be filled by the reliever or a pinch hitter. 

Look at this boxscore when Ohtani started and hit, but got removed from the game in the first inning. https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA202106300.shtml

Relievers Dylan Bundy and Tony Watson had to take at bats. Crazy thing is the Angels scored seven rules in the top of the 9th to actually win this game.

On 2/3/2022 at 10:41 AM, Tony-OH said:

Agreed. The NL is the only baseball league in the world that still does not allow a DH. This allows pitchers to focus on what they do, pitch.

Nit picking, but the Japanese Central League doesn't use the DH, either.

I'm fine with universal DH, I hate a lot of the so-called strategy that goes into avoiding .110 hitters who strike out 60% of the time.  But it is going to be bad for science.  Monitoring pitcher hitting performance is one way to get a gauge on league strength and competitiveness.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Nit picking, but the Japanese Central League doesn't use the DH, either.

I'm fine with universal DH, I hate a lot of the so-called strategy that goes into avoiding .110 hitters who strike out 60% of the time.  But it is going to be bad for science.  Monitoring pitcher hitting performance is one way to get a gauge on league strength and competitiveness.

We agree 100%, but somebody already corrected me on that Central League thing. ;)

• Upvote 1

On 2/3/2022 at 12:42 PM, Just Regular said:

I feel like a steady contributor/high floor guy like Mancini, if indeed this rule change is effectuated, he's more likely to be traded March 30th than July 30th.

NL clubs have had some years to kind of sort of know this was coming, but not all of the notional contenders will have a plug and play regular.   I feel like the actual creation of 15 jobs will skew the market more in the spring than the view of whatever 110 OPS+ projected guys have bad years or get hurt will in the summer.

Plus that way you can chase the bad PR with a shot of Adley in maybe 20-something days.

I think that many NL teams will act like many AL teams and not really have a regular DH at all, instead opting to kind of randomly plug in that outfielder who turned his ankle, their Mark Trumbo, the backup catcher who really can't field but might OPS .774, and the young 3B/RF who is too new to be mad that the manager doesn't play him in the field half the time.  None of them particularly like it, and they get a .725 OPS out of the slot.

In other words, I think smart teams could gain a win or three a year by specifically picking out, preparing, and training a player to get 90% of the DH at bats.  But most don't.

SD does seem like a good destination for Mancini.  I would like to get Reggie Lawson from them.  He is a power arm that has had command issues. May never harness it but if he does, scouts think he could be a starter or a really good BP arm.

If you can get him and perhaps one of their many int’l FA lottery ticket type guys, that would be good imo.

Lawson is a borderline top 10 guy in their system and they have several international players in the 15-35 area of their organization.  

They have a few ML BP arms that are making 3-4M that were good last year but are older.  I would assume they want to keep those guys since they performed well but if for some reason they feel they are deep down there and want to have some salary trade off, taking back Garcia or Stammen is something we should do as well.

I think the reason Padre fans are thinking of Mancini is because they think he can be had cheaply. I don't think, even with the added DH spots in the NL potentially upping demand a bit, that it makes any sense to move him this offseason as I doubt you get many really solid offers for Mancini.

I do, however, think moving him at the deadline may be an option if a team due to injury or underperformance is in a position of need for a right-handed power bat. I think we see a bit more of a consistent and improved season from Mancini in 2022 and there's more of a market for a .830ish OPS bat than a .758 OPS as he showed in 2021 (or better yet if he gets closer to the .899 from 2019). An added year removed from cancer treatment surely cannot hurt. There's upside with Mancini that he can return to 2019 form, but there's also downside that 2021 is what he is. If he can have a couple months more like 2019, then you get a useful piece or two or him at the deadline from a team in contention. And if he doesn't I don't think you lose much by not taking deals now as I don't think a couple fringe guys are that big of losses. 

20 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I think the reason Padre fans are thinking of Mancini is because they think he can be had cheaply. I don't think, even with the added DH spots in the NL potentially upping demand a bit, that it makes any sense to move him this offseason as I doubt you get many really solid offers for Mancini.

I do, however, think moving him at the deadline may be an option if a team due to injury or underperformance is in a position of need for a right-handed power bat. I think we see a bit more of a consistent and improved season from Mancini in 2022 and there's more of a market for a .830ish OPS bat than a .758 OPS as he showed in 2021 (or better yet if he gets closer to the .899 from 2019). An added year removed from cancer treatment surely cannot hurt. There's upside with Mancini that he can return to 2019 form, but there's also downside that 2021 is what he is. If he can have a couple months more like 2019, then you get a useful piece or two or him at the deadline from a team in contention. And if he doesn't I don't think you lose much by not taking deals now as I don't think a couple fringe guys are that big of losses. 

You probably can get the same or more for him now vs the deadline.  He isn't the type of player that will fetch a lot as a rental.

27 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Remember, the Braves got 4 veteran corner OF rentals around last year's trade deadline for essentially zippy.  Btw, all 4 contributed to their WS win.