The Athletic: First Moves AL Teams Should Make After Lockout Ends

connja

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I am guessing they had reasons to dislike him and not want him in the clubhouse regardless of the allegations and facts. The report was they didn't want him back in any circumstances regardless of how the case turns out. I am also guessing they know all of the facts. 

Did they say they didn’t want him back regardless of how the case turns out?

My recollection they didn’t want him back because of what I do was publicly known at the time.  

41 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Did they say they didn’t want him back regardless of how the case turns out?

My recollection they didn’t want him back because of what I do was publicly known at the time.  

They said that, based on the report I read. Admittedly it was a clickbait article with few details. "Under any circumstances."

https://dodgersway.com/2021/07/26/dodgers-trevor-bauer-teammates-want-gone/

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

They said that, based on the report I read. Admittedly it was a clickbait article with few details. "Under any circumstances."

https://dodgersway.com/2021/07/26/dodgers-trevor-bauer-teammates-want-gone/

We’ll see.  He didn’t sexual assault her. If he did, they would be going after him.

If he is exonerated of all wrong doing, hard to believe MLB could suspend him.

As for teammates..I tend to believe that they felt he did it and didn’t believe that he didn’t nothing wrong.  Whether or not he did, should come out later.  If it turns out that this was all a set up to get money out of him, the players will eventually fall in line with him because they know that it could happen to them too.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

As for teammates..I tend to believe that they felt he did it and didn’t believe that he didn’t nothing wrong.  Whether or not he did, should come out later.  If it turns out that this was all a set up to get money out of him, the players will eventually fall in line with him because they know that it could happen to them too.

I'm going off reports that said "under any circumstances". My interpretation is they don't like him and didn't want him in the clubhouse for reasons beyond the allegations and/or they know enough regardless of the official outcome of the investigations. 

23 hours ago, Pickles said:

That's not how it works in this country.  Thank God.

He's under no need to prove his innocence.

That's why charges weren't brought.  The DA didn't think that he could get a conviction based on the evidence available.  That's a reasonable decision for a prosecutor to make.  But, "cleared" implies that there was proof that he didn't do it.  A decision not to bring charges means that they couldn't prove that they did do it.  There is  a difference.

10 hours ago, NCRaven said:

That's why charges weren't brought.  The DA didn't think that he could get a conviction based on the evidence available.  That's a reasonable decision for a prosecutor to make.  But, "cleared" implies that there was proof that he didn't do it.  A decision not to bring charges means that they couldn't prove that they did do it.  There is  a difference.

Yes, there’s a big difference.    However, we shouldn’t forget that the putative victim sought a civil restraining order and the judge found, after hearing her testimony and seeing evidence of her injuries, that Bauer had not exceeded the limits the putative victim had set on their activity.   I’m not saying that judge’s findings are the final word on that subject, but they are part of the reason the prosecutor felt he couldn’t prove Bauer guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.  

His sexual behavior is still very weird and I think many would describe it as deviant and be repulsed by it.   That’s a matter of personal opinion, and part of the mix for his teammates.   The other part is, he’s got a reputation as a smug, selfish jerk who doesn’t care about his teammates.  Now, I don’t know if that manifested itself in his relatively short time with the Dodgers.   But if so, that’s another reason they might not want him back.  

Still, he’s an excellent pitcher who could help them win a World Series.   Whether his teammates feel strongly enough about him personally to not want his help in trying to win is not clear to me.  His avoidance of legal jeopardy gives his teammates an opportunity to re-balance the personal and on-field considerations.   

As to what MLB does from here, I’m guessing he will be reinstated.   I haven’t studied their domestic violence policy to see whether consensual violent conduct would violate it, but I doubt that subject is addressed.    And, Bauer already has missed half a season.   

• Upvote 1