Offer from the Rockies: OF Raimel Tapia and 3B/1B Colton Welker

Milwaukee Brewers (Sammon)

Offer from the Brewers: 1B/OF/DH Thomas Dillard and RHP Matt Hardy

Pittsburgh Pirates (Biertempfel)

Offer from the Pirates: RHP Chris Strattonand INF Cole Tucker

an Diego Padres (Lin)

Offer from the Padres: C Victor Caratini and RHP Reiss Knehr

• Upvote 1

The point of the article IMO is to show that Mancini doesn't have much trade value.  And I agree.  Coming off missing a year from cancer he had a 711 OPS in the 2nd half as a DH.  Not what most teams are looking for.

These kind of returns should be available at the deadline for Mancini.  There is real no reason to trade him for that kind of return  before the season begins.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The point of the article IMO is to show that Mancini doesn't have much trade value.  And I agree.  Coming off missing a year from cancer he had a 711 OPS in the 2nd half as a DH.  Not what most teams are looking for.

These kind of returns should be available at the deadline for Mancini.  There is really no reason to trade him for that kind of return  before the season begins.

The thing is, even if he’s having a very good year, these offers aren’t going to improve at the deadline.

So, if you can get the same for him now as you will be able to then, the trade should occur now.  No reason to keep him around.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The thing is, even if he’s having a very good year, these offers aren’t going to improve at the deadline.

So, if you can get the same for him now as you will be able to then, the trade should occur now.  No reason to keep him around.

I am hoping for a return to his 2019 performance level.   His trade value could increase if that happens.   Especially if some 1B is injured on a contending team.

None of these interest me.  Tapia, Stratton, Tucker, and Caratini are all worse than Mancini (at least in context of this team).  The rest of the guys have little to no chance of even making it to the MLB.  This basically means Mancini is a salary dump...

If this is his market now, then keep him and hope the market shifts heading into the trade deadline.  If not, then a 'send-off' PR stunt for the feel good.

Matt Hardy's BB:KK is interesting.  But I don't really know anything about him.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am hoping for a return to his 2019 performance level.   His trade value could increase if that happens.   Especially if some 1B is injured on a contending team.

But you aren’t being realistic.  First of all, while I agree 2019 is possible, it’s also not likely.  That is the outlier year and came when he was 27, which is historically the peak year for a player.

Secondly, even if he has a big first half, he’s still just a rental and his value would only be marginally better than right now.  The downside is far greater than the upside.  My guess is you could get a few prospects in the 8-15 range in an organization and maybe get a third player who is a lottery ticket type guy.   That is a fine return for Mancini.  

We can quibble over the players themselves but that return is fine.  No reason to hold onto him in hopes of the best player going from ranked 10th in an organization to one ranked 7th.  It’s just not a big enough jump to justify paying him And holding onto him.

34 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Elias paid 7m for Lyles on what is probably a one year contract.  Very unlikely they pay him 11m in 2023.  Mancini is at least as good a player as Lyles.   So I don't think saving Mancini's 1st half salary is an issue.

Elias has to start showing progress on the field.  Another 100 lose season does not help the rebuild.   

When Stowers arrives that is when the roster gets a little tighter depending on injuries. But that is probably not until June at the earliest.

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Elias paid 7m for Lyles on what is probably a one year contract.  Very unlikely they pay him 11m in 2023.  Mancini is at least as good a player as Lyles.   So I don't think saving Mancini's 1st half salary is an issue.

Elias has to start showing progress on the field.  Another 100 lose season does not help the rebuild.   

When Stowers arrives that is when the roster gets a little tighter depending on injuries. But that is probably not until June at the earliest.

I must have missed all the games the Os have won with Mancini.  If you think he’s stopping us from losing 100 games, you haven’t been paying attention.  Mancini isn’t any kind of lynch pin to a sub 100 loss season.

BtW, while I would trade Mancini, I would be making other moves to make the team better overall.

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Mancini isn’t any kind of lynch pin to a sub 100 loss season.

On the flip side, Mancini isn't any kind of lynchpin to net us some great players to propel this team forward.  I think the best result of trading him would probably be some sort of roster flexibility...an addition by subtraction of sorts.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

On the flip side, Mancini isn't any kind of lynchpin to net us some great players to propel this team forward.  I think the best result of trading him would probably be some sort of roster flexibility...an addition by subtraction of sorts.  

No, he won’t net great players (unless someone develops unexpectedly) but he certainly could net players who could be contributing role player type pieces on the next contender.  Would love to add a few power arms or players like that.  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Secondly, even if he has a big first half, he’s still just a rental and his value would only be marginally better than right now.  The downside is far greater than the upside.  My guess is you could get a few prospects in the 8-15 range in an organization and maybe get a third player who is a lottery ticket type guy.  

This is a fair expectation.  No reason to expect a top tier prospect in return.  Mancini's salary is the big issue.  If we would pay a significant chunk of his salary, then the return should open up a bit.  Given our 2022 payroll, I would hope this is on the table.

However, it is odd seeing the potential NL DH-type market start to develop.  Like the Padres signing Nomar Mazara, the Brewers signing Eric Thames, Cards thinking DeJong is their answer.  Other than salary, Mancini and other trade candidates on other teams are upgrades over those.  

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Just hold onto him and let him walk, man. If something pops up at the deadline, great (for him, mostly, if it's a playoff team). If not, sometimes it's ok to just let a guy play out his contract and wish him the best. 

It’s ok to do that when you are trying to win.  It’s not ok when the team is garbage and could get something that could potentially help them later.

And btw, it’s doing Mancini a favor to get him off this team.