The Athletic trade discussions- Mancini

Sports Guy

I'm fine with the theory of trading Mancini.  We're at the crossroads of the rebuild.  His paycheck kinda still makes him part of the old guard vs. the future.  He can still be re-signed if he checks the right boxes.  

Feels like the trades that the Braves made good on last year rebuilding their outfield is the type of market Mancini will have...  Only difference is the NL DH, but the Braves were basically positioning themselves for the post-season DH with those trades as well.  I'd take Mancini over any of these guys though.  

Braves Acquire Adam Duvall - MLB Trade Rumors - for prospect Alex Jackson

Chicago Cubs trade Joc Pederson to Atlanta Braves for 1B prospect Bryce Ball (espn.com)

Braves Acquire Eddie Rosario - MLB Trade Rumors - for Panda Sandoval and cash (Dear baseball gods, please make this not be our future!)

Alex Jackson and Bryce Ball blurbs for what they're worth.

SportsTalkATL's Full Top 30 Prospects List - SportsTalkATL.com

The article mentions MLB ready players in return. We should be targeting A ball pitching in a return. 

There are pros/cons for hanging on to him till the deadline. The pro being he could have a “good” 1st half for him. The con being that even with a good first half teams will be out of it, thus eliminating the market demand. 

I still think you hold onto him though. He’s not blocking anyone. AR likely won’t need DH ABs because he’ll be in the minors for some period of time, and Stowers needs some more AAA time. July seems like a good time to trade Mancini. 

On 2/22/2022 at 4:47 PM, btdart20 said:

I'm fine with the theory of trading Mancini.  We're at the crossroads of the rebuild.  His paycheck kinda still makes him part of the old guard vs. the future.  He can still be re-signed if he checks the right boxes.  

Feels like the trades that the Braves made good on last year rebuilding their outfield is the type of market Mancini will have...  Only difference is the NL DH, but the Braves were basically positioning themselves for the post-season DH with those trades as well.  I'd take Mancini over any of these guys though.  

Braves Acquire Adam Duvall - MLB Trade Rumors - for prospect Alex Jackson

Chicago Cubs trade Joc Pederson to Atlanta Braves for 1B prospect Bryce Ball (espn.com)

Braves Acquire Eddie Rosario - MLB Trade Rumors - for Panda Sandoval and cash (Dear baseball gods, please make this not be our future!)

Alex Jackson and Bryce Ball blurbs for what they're worth.

SportsTalkATL's Full Top 30 Prospects List - SportsTalkATL.com

None of those guys Atlanta traded had any real trade value.  Alex Jackson was an OFer converted to a catcher and really can't hit or field.  Bryce Ball was a nice 24th round pick, but he was just mediocre hitting in high A ball.  Pablo Sandoval was... a good guy. 

Btw, I would not be surprised if Trey ends up in Atlanta and does well there.